ad: QSKLLC-1

"Yaesuese" - Help me understand my FTdx-3000

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4MU, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a FTdx-3000 last Black Friday (when else would you buy one). I love the radio. It's everything I expected and more. Here's the issue:
    I recently started to get back into doing PSK31 (I know, I'm a dinosaur). I don't mind doing digital but just can't bring myself to doing the "Wham-Bam-TU OM" modes. So, I've spent the last several days trying to get anyone to answer me on "31". Been using the same program I did several years ago ("Airline").
    I tried every conceivable combination of transmit settings...nada! RX copy is fine. On a hunch, I looked in my Nifty manual to see what they said about 31 setups. Lo and behold they said to put digital type on "OTHER" - and not on PSK as you might expect. The operating manual says nothing about exactly WHAT this menu item does. The two selections are: "PSK" or "OTHER". It seemed logical to me to make sure it was on PSK. WRONG! Nifty says put it on OTHER. WahLah...instant gratification!
    So what's going on here? Something to do with FSK/AFSK? I can't imagine what the deal is. If you've stayed with me this far, you are obliged to provide an insight if you have one. Thanks in advance!

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I stayed with you...But I got nuthin. :D
    It does seem strange. I am not familiar with the rig but a quick thought is that the PSK setting is for doing PSK only with the rig itself and not a soundcard and software??

3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have something there. Never thought of that. Yaesu doesn't say. BUT...soundcard/interface is built-in...Hmmm. There is a PSK decode function. That's the only thing they have in the manual...oh, and how to program five messages to transmit (same as on CW or Phone).

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC-7600 and it kinda works that way. The RTTY/PSK button goes to that mode but you have to bring up the decode display after that with another button. Then it is all RTTY or PSK with the rig itself.

If I am using software and sound card then I select USB-D1 with the SSB button.

5. W4AUE

W4AUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great radio -- manual not so much!

6. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

+1

7. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hear, Hear!
    +2

8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 3000 has built in PSK encode/decode. What's probably happening is when you have it set to PSK mode it's taking the data stream from Airlink which is already a PSK data stream, and trying to encode that into a PSK signal, and what's coming out is garbage. My TS-990 has something similar. I don't use it's built in PSK mode at all. I keep it set to SSB upper sideband and ignore it's built in decoders/encoders and let the software do the work, feeding the audio into the mic input.

You might find these two articles useful: https://www.eham.net/articles/37193 and https://morsetutor.com/2015/02/yaesu-ftdx3000-digi-setup/

they don't talk specifically about your software, they deal with Fldigi and Ham Radio Deluxe, but the basic information about configuring things should be useful.

Good luck!

9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

YGN: Thanks for your comments. Yes, it appears that you are on the mark. I have been using the 3000 on PSK on "DATA USB" and all is well. However, I have been reading, on the 3000 forum, that simply using it in "USB" mode actually provides better results with regard to more stations heard. I presume this is what you are doing. It also provides additional bandwidth possibilities. I will experiment soon using USB mode and see what happens. Thank all respondents for insights. 73, Bill

10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope that solves the problem. :) I don't know about you, but for me half the fun of all of this is trying to figure out why something doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I have a cranky Yaesu 818 that doesn't want to talk to the computer at the moment and trouble shooting that has been educational.