Yaesue 857D No transmit on 70cm

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WI5FI, Feb 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WI5FI

WI5FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure what is going on. I bought this radio new about a year ago. I'm just now starting to use mainly for VHF/UHF. I have it connected to a dual band antenna mounted on my chimney. I can transmit on 2meters with very low SWR, but 70cm is max SWR almost like I don't have an antenna connected. I tested the antenna on 70cm with my antenna analyzer and I get 1.5:1 SWR. So then I attached my HT antenna to the rig at 2 watts and still max SWR. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    WI5FI

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

1.5:1 SWR is not all that bad.

Are you sure you are not reading power out, instead of SWR on the radio ?

What antenna are you using ?

3. WI5FI

WI5FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I would be happy with 1.5:1. That is what I'm getting with my antenna analyzer. But when I transmit with the radio SWR is super high. The SWR icon even starts blinking to warn me. However, I just now attached my dual band antenna from my truck and it worked perfectly. So, I believe its my dual band antenna on the chimney that is acting up. Not sure though why I'm getting 1.5:1 on my analyzer. My antenna is a TRAM 1481 Collinear.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you receive OK ?

I would suspect the coax assembly. That antenna is DC grounded, And will measure as a short.