ad: w5yi

[Yaesu_FT-450D] Program MH-31A8J Mic

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N0WE, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0WE

N0WE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to the Yaesu FT-450D. Just bought a used rig and have questions about programming the mic. I have been told that you can program the up, fast and down buttons to do the CS/Voice button functions. Is that true? If so could someone explain how this is done? If I use the built in voice keyer I would like to use one of the mic keys to activate the keyer. I would make it easier and would cut down on wear and tear to the button on the rig.

Jim N0WE

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-450D Product Page, with Electronic copies of Owner's Manual
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...02&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4

Front Panel functionality outlines on pages 2-6.
    C.S/Voice switch settings (configuration) explained on Page 16.
    Usage of the MH-31a8j microphone outlined on page 20.
    Voice Memory Function outlined on Page 44.
    Menu Mode explanation on pages 78-87.

The current Yaesu FT-450D supersedes the original FT-450 and FT-450AT models that have been discontinued, and changes the following:

• Internal tuner standard
    • Illuminated key buttons
    • Display color no longer selectable
    • 300 Hz / 500 Hz / 2.4 kHz CW IF filters
    • Front feet stands
    • "Classically-designed" main dial and knobs (IF Shift, DSP/Select, Tuning, SQL/RF Gain & AF Gain)
    • The MH-67A8J hand microphone is replaced with the Yaesu MH-31A8J hand microphone
    ==
    The Yaesu MH-31a8j microphone is a simple elecret microphone with buttons -- no electronics inside (dumb mic).
    All programming / functionality changes of the microphone buttons is performed inside the FT-450D.

Yaesu MH-31a8j microphone
    Technical Supplement
    http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/Yaesu/Yaesu_MH_31a8j.pdf

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  3. N0WE

N0WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I have seen the pages you reference in the manual but the manual also says

P M-DWN (MIC-DWN PG) One of 52 functions (See page 16) DWN
    P M-FST (MIC-FAST PG) One of 52 functions (See page 16) FAST
    P M-UP (MIC-UP PG) One of 52 functions (See page 16) UP

But if you go to page 16 it list all the options but only lists one option for the mic keys that I can see. I understand the the mic is "dumb" and the radio is assigning the function to the keys on the mic.

Jim
    N0WE

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim -

OK. I see no indication, in the FT-450D documentation,
    that the UP/DOWN keys on the microphone can be programmed for other functions (other than tuning).

There ARE changes between the FT-450 and the later FT-450D model --
    unless this is a "hidden" or "undocumented" feature within the radios control micro-controller.

Since this is a "new revision" of the FT-450 radio -- you can ask Yaesu USA Support.
    They would likely forward request to Japanese designer(s).

5. N0WE

N0WE Ham Member QRZ Page

I belong to the Yahoo FT-450 group and have not had any luck there either. I have seen reference on the web to people doing this but no details on how to do it. It would be great if it could be done.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The current State Farm TV commercial, State of Disbelief, is an example of current world in which we live:
    "They can not put anything on the Internet that is not true." Where did you hear that? "The Internet"

This is the reason I provide "information source" for many responses to QRZ Q&A queries.
    ===
    The definitive source is the radio's manufacturer. If you don't ask them, you don't know.

You can fill out Yaesu USA contact form, here:
    http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65

OR contact them via telephone or e-mail:

Yaesu USA
    6125 Phyllis Drive
    Cypress, CA 90630 USA
    1-714-827-7600
    For Technical Support; Parts Department; or Customer Service
    call (714)827-7600 between 8AM – 5PM PST

Customer Service e-mail: customerservice@yaesu.com
    ===
    w9gb

7. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just sold my FT-450D but I had programmed the buttons on the mic to play CW messages (cq, callsign etc). In the menus find PM-DWN and select it. Then turn the SEL knob until you get to a function you want. For example I had chosen PLAY1 for the PM-Down and PLAY2 for PM-UP. Then I recorded my call under BEACONTXT1 and UR 5NN TU under BEACONTXT2.

I also programed the CS/VOICE button to SWR. Then when I pressed the CS/VOICE button the rig dropped to 5 watts and transmitted a tone - great for tuning up.

Rob
    W8MRL

8. N0WE

N0WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the response. I plan to spend some time with the rig this weekend and get more familiar with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.