ad: portazero-1

YAESU VX6R RX ISSUE

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N4EYZ, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Attempting to make sense of a ht problem. Said ht belongs to bro-in-law. He bought it after seeing how much I loved my vx6r. Rig was fine for couple of years as he only used it for a fancy scanner. (he's testing for ticket soon) A few months ago problem started. Busy LED stays lit and no rx sensitivity on vhf. I have done a complete reset on rig to no avail. All menu items are back to factory defaults but still green LED is lit and radio is extremely deaf but seems to only affect vhf. Listening to uhf last eve seemed ok. Have compared all menu items to mine--same as far as ones that would affect rx and squelch items. Have also swapped antennas to eliminate that as an issue. His battery is aftermarket but can't see that has having caused an issue. Any VX6R experts out there?

Wayne/n4eyz

2. VA3JRO

VA3JRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Wayne, I am having the either the exact, or a very similar issue suddenly with a 3 year old radio. The green light is constantly lit, but in my case it is for all stations, VHF, UHF, Air, etc. The signal meter reads S1 and the squelch is open. I have tried turning the squelch setting up to 15 but it remains open. In conjunction with this, I have noticed that the radio can not hear nearly as well as it used to, a repeater that previous was received as S9 is now S4 at best. I am wondering if you found out what the problem was with your radio, or if anyone responded with suggestions? Or if anyone else reading this post has a suggestion other then sending it in for repair? I'd be comfortable to take it apart and reassemble, just need to know what to be on the lookout for once I'm inside! Thanks, James

3. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

James, you and I must have the only two that broke! Bro-in-law has radio back but nothings been done with it. As cheap as ht's are it's difficult to spend much money repairing one.

4. AC2EU

AC2EU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that paying to repair one of these is probably not worth it. However, if you can do it yourself, it would be educational and rewarding.
    you'll need a schematic or , better yet, a full service manual with block diagrams, etc.
    Start with looking at the AGC line. This controls the RF gain. It's showing "busy" because it "thinks" it has a signal of reasonable magnitude, thus displaying "busy" and reducing the gain.
    The trick is to discover where the phantom voltage is coming from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.