Yaesu VX5r Power Jack Repair Again

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by K4FEK, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4FEK

K4FEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Folks,

I love my VX5R, but it would seem that the power jack has given up the ghost. No power plugs will "stay" when I plug them in. The car adapter seems to function all right, held in with a rubber band, but the power plug for the NC-72B will neither stay in nor make a useable connection. I have replace plugs with new 4.0/1.7's, which seems to have made things worse instead of better. The interior of the jack housing is clear -- nothing in the way.

I saw the exchange from back in 2010, which was helpful, but now I have no idea from where to get a new jack.

Anybody have one, or, failing that, does anybody have any alternatives?

Thanks,
    K5FEK/4

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there a V shaped spring inside thats pushes against the barrel and to make the outer connection?

Some sockets - not all, can be opened very carefully and re-assembled if this is one of them I have no idea.

My guess is it gets used quite a lot and the ol' V shaped spring contact gets weakened. I've also come across some that just wanted a re-solder because they are only held in by their soldered connections which becomes weakened with stress... or pushing and pulling.

Odd time or two the middle pin becomes loose at the riveted end.

Dave

3. AA4HA

AA4HA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen them break free of where they are mounted to the PCB and create an electrically intermittent connection. If it is bumped or dropped that happens.

Dell laptops are terrible for that. I can see where an HT would have the same vulnerability.

4. G4COE

I agree AA4HA..... I've done three or for Dell's, I was given an Acer laptop and that had the same problem, a pig to get out if I can remember, told em' I've repaired it, "No, no you keep it", "thanks very much" I said.

What I do if they rely on soldered connections for retaining the socket is to use a tiny blob of epoxy on the bottom, this helps to take the strain from wreaking the solder connections - don't use too much otherwise there might be a day when you want to replace the socket.

Sometimes it helps to run a length of solid core wire bended round the connections, this also may help to take the strain, depending on the length of their connection pins protruding through the board.

Had this happen with many other electrical items too not just lappy's.

Dave

5. K4FEK

I have to just about dismantle the whole unit to get to the part of the circuit board where the jack is attached. The center post seems to be solid. I'm thinking that your theory about the V-spring is the solution. It looks pretty solid, but it may have lost it's tension over the years. I tried wrapping the barrel of the connector with aluminum foil, which basically did nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace the jack -- if I can find one!
    Thanks for your help,
    Foster

6. K4FEK

Dear Tisha,

The jack solders to the board in three places. It all looks intact. I'm thinking I'm going to need to replace the jack -- if I can find one.

Thanks and 73's,
    Foster

7. G4COE

Have you done a continuity/resistance check on the pins?

Simply insert the plug and lead only, then measure from wire end to the actual pins on the socket, this will tell you if any of the pins are not making a connection.

Should the socket be faulty no harm can be had by squirting some switch cleaning fluid into the socket, then giving it a good shake to expel any excess, should it be the socket you can't make it any worse... but don't wreck it because they probably come in differing sizes and you might need it for reference.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.