**Yaesu VX-8R** good or not?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9RDO, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7XO

N7XO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have the GPS unit installed, and your frequency is set to 144.39 Mhz ( In the U.S. ) in the primary transmit VFO , the shortest way to set up the APRS is to first make sure the HT is not scanning, Tap the menu button momentarily, then the GPS display should come up on the display, whether it shows a GPS location or not does not matter( until you're ready to beacon a location.) Then hold menu button down for roughly 2 seconds and you will have the list for APRS menu options, you will want to set up your CALLSIGN obviously, BEACON INTERVAL will determine how often you beacon, BEACON STATS TXT information or status , APRS MSG FLASH set to ON to send the text in the beacon stats txt, APRS MSG TXT set to your preference, DIGI PATH for area wide type path, GPS DATUM ...mine is WGS-84, BEACON TX ( almost always on AUTO unless you want to control manually.) MY position setting is set to AUTO, POSITION COMMENT set for your status, MY SYMBOL is the icon you want displayed ( A car, truck, Park, hotel, a bike, on foot, etc.) Just remember to setup your APRS MODEM to 1200 or 9600 bps when you're ready to transmit a beacon loacation. Most of the list of APRS menu settings are self explanatory. Hope that answers some basics... Take care

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

And a supply of fish, just in case----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. GM4WIE

GM4WIE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply

4. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today while walking outside to work a satellite, I dropped my vx-8r down a flight of stairs. It managed to bounce on each step like a slinky, and landed in a 4 foot snow bank. It was on at the time, I dug it out, wiped it off and it works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.