**Yaesu VX-8R** good or not?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9RDO, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Make that JUST a fishing pole!!

2. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember the "Pocket Fisherman"? Maybe Yaesu should team up with Ron Popeil in offering a special edition VX-8R :D

3. K2FR

K2FR Guest

Love the radio, use it quite often while hiking and APRS tracking.

Check out my videos on youtube about it

Good stuff!

4. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent radio, I really like the handmike/GPS combo. It also has an excellent receiver for AM/FM/SWL. It's a bit expensive but it's a lot of radio.

I just wish it was made like the VX-6 and VX-7. It's a bit hard for me to hold in my big hands and round corners of the VX-6/7 are a bit easier for me.

5. KA0SOG

KA0SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not fishing pole; fly rod!

6. VK2NDY

VK2NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Purchased mine in May last year and am very impressed with it. It gets use nearly everyday.
    Menu system is quite easy to navigate, although some certain features you`ll be needing to refer to the user manual, theyre not intuitive at all, luckily these arent needed too often.
    Battery life in the supplied battery is excellent, I get around an hour or so TX on one charge.
    73s
    Andy

7. W1WOW

W1WOW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu VX-8R - Good or Not?

Hello,

I've had several Yaesu HTs over the years and like the Yaesu VX-8R real well. It's light weight and easy to carry. I like it's looks and feel - buttons are backlit and its submersible. I really love the wide FM radio recieve and its scanning features. Battery life is good - the larger battery might be something you might want to look into for longer service. The APRS is a neat feature with its built in modem. Lots to do with the Yaesu VX-8R!

Jason - W1WOW

8. W4KRR

W4KRR Ham Member QRZ Page

The only complaint I have about the VX-8 is that the audio isn't as loud as I would like, especially when used in a noisy environment. Other than that I have no complaints. I also use the higher capacity battery, and it lasts a long time between charges.

9. GM4WIE

GM4WIE Ham Member QRZ Page

VX8 plus APRS in the UK

Hello all I recently "this week " bought the VX8 UK vers plus the FGPS-2 and the CT-136 I would like to know how to set it up for aprs etc. Not much info in the UK. Any enlightened person would you please let me know much appreciated.
    Chas

GM4WIE

Can email via qrz

Thank you

10. N7XO

N7XO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my VX -8R for about 6 months and Its great. Had a VX 5 R years ago and this is a very nice complement to its early models. I tend to be tough on HT's and this little 8R is very tough. 73's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.