Yaesu VX-8R - an ongoing review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WH7EVR, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6HLD

KI6HLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought mine a week ago. I bought it mainly for the dual monitor arrangement. So far some likes/dislikes:

I bought the larger 1800 mAh battery on recommendation. So far I haven't really needed it yet.
    The separate stereo earphone jack - FM stereo is quite good quality, though I haven't used that feature much except to check it out.
    In dual monitor mode, with Stereo headsets - Side A comes in on the left headphone, Side B on the right. That will make monitoring two frequencies much easier.
    Switching from A to B or to single monitor mode is a single button push.
    Separate volume settings for A and B. My friends FT-6 only has a coarse 'balance' between the two sides.
    The A and B buttons are also the activity indicators. Very easy to see what's going on.

Dislikes:
    I was disappointed to find that I can not see the memory labels except in single frequency mode. The frequency only is always displayed in dual monitor mode.
    Reception of WWV frequencies is terrible, even with a separate antenna. My VX-6 picks up WWV as well as or better than my old RadioShack TimeCube. With the VX-8 the WWV signal doesn't even break the squelch.

2. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you had much luck receiving any short wave? I know you're better off using a wire antenna but that isn't very convenient if you're walking about.

3. K6WAC

K6WAC Ham Member QRZ Page

really 2 1/2 bands

If you set you theVX8 up for APRS one bank will need to be dedicated to 144.39 leaving only one bank left for use; dual rx is not possible when using GPS/APRS. ld I've tested this radio and found the receiver to be more than adequate but still prefer the Icom 92ad because of its superior performance, digital mode capability, and commercial quality build. If you have not yet taken the plunge, take a look at the 92AD before committing to a purchase. It may not be the radio for you but you should at least take the opportunity to check out whats on the high end HT market before laying down 4 bills.

4. K2XLG

K2XLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had mine for about 4 months now

And I have to say that it's probably the best HT I've owned. The receive sensitivity is excellent, except on HF and AM broadcast. I have repeaters available on all 4 bands, although obviously 2m and 440 are useful. Better antennas make a big difference with this radio...my choice being the Diamond SRH77CA which will cover 2m,220, and 440 and I've also tried the Smiley 270A tribander for the same bands. This one does a little better on 220 than the Diamond. Back to the radio. I purchased the larger battery, desktop charger, and the soft case. They work well and are worth buying. Don't need APRS or GPS functions. I like how Yaesu has worked with their menu system and it fits nicely with their other radios. I have an 857D and it helps having some operating similarities. The menu is easy to access too. I try my darndest to deal with all the functions and not look at the manual. My feeling about software programming is that you won't learn the radio quite the same. Could you field program this radio from scratch if you needed to? I think Yaesu has done a very good job putting in so many functions and capabilities into a small package. I like the SMA connector, the headphone port should be slightly larger, and the mic connector is one of those "Well it's about time they did that" deals. My previous HT was an FT-60 and it had a 4 conductor speaker/mic connector that would come loose very easily. Very frustrating. I love the dual receive as I also use this as a scanner and the VX-8R is excellent for this. I like the full coverage on VHF low band. Probably my only gripe with Yaesu here is that they need to include a way to delete memories, not just write over them. I'd like to see them come out with an amplified antenna for HF/AM broadcast and work on the sensitivity there. Other than that, this one's a keeper and I'll have it for a long time.

5. KK6GUN

KK6GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved mine to death, i wouldnt buy another ht... TOO bad it was under me and my motorcycle when i fell off, now it needs a new screen. and other things. :-( made decent contacts on all bands it covers with big antennas. scanning sucks cuz it jumps to the weather channels constantly ( prob user stupidty that doesnt end that one) but its WELL wortht the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.