Yaesu vx-8dr

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB2HEX, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3TTL

K3TTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the Yaesu branded 1800 mAh battery and that one is a nice improvement over the supplied battery. Wish I had known Batteries America was going to bring out the 2000 mAh version, I would have waited.

I have a feeling I will be learning the functions of the HT for quite awhile! :)

2. CE8EYS

CE8EYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, this is Wally from Chile, CE-8-EYS, I´m thinking of the VX 8 DR to be used out in the field, where my job takes me wich is the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields, where I work as a mountani guide, have you heard about the battery behavior under severe cold weather ?

Looking forward to hearing from you...

regards and best 73´s Wally CE-8-EYS

3. K3TTL

K3TTL Ham Member QRZ Page

No personal experience here however battery performance will suffer as the temps get colder. My Sister-in-Law has gone to Antarctica twice and she was told to keep battery power devices inside her jacket to maintain battery performance. She had no problems with her digital camera and it's rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries when following this advice.

If you got the VX-8DR and some type of external mic, you could keep the radio in a warm pocket and still have use of the radio. I guess you would have to rig something to relocate the antenna. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Just a thought.

4. N0BTI

N0BTI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in the 8dr because of the built in GPS. Does the GPS function display speed, moving average speed, trip miles, time of travel, etc like dedicated GPS units do?

Thanks

5. K4CGN

K4CGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Your thinking of the VX-8GR, the VX-8DR does not have the built in GPS.

I just ordered the VX-8DR tonight along with a fresh copy of the programming software from RTSystems, and a new USB cable.

I have had the VX-8R for sometime now and it is one of my favorite radios. Battery power works fine for me but I do not use the APRS features. It is tough to find another radio that fits the bill like these, features abound. I love being able to listen to two different frequencies at the same time and just push a button to switch between them for transmitting. I have two nets that come on close to the same time on two different repeaters and it is nice to be able to catch both and check in when called. I also like the volume ducking feature of these radios, I usually set the secondary VFO to 50% and it is perfect.

Yes there are some gripes with these radios as there are with all radios. We don't live in a perfect world and can't expect perfection in everything in life. But this little radio sure comes close for my needs.

6. W1MSG

W1MSG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No it doesnt ..

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.