Yaesu vx-8dr

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB2HEX, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ6FQD

KJ6FQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Its Great!

I'm a new HAM, so honestly, I have no real comparison. But, I really like mine! I've used all the features, and talked on all bands. I've used the radio with two different rubber ducks, a dual band J-Pole, a mag mount, and a trunk mounted antenna, and have had great reception. Also, to my suprise I made what I think to be an incredible connection on 70cm band. I trans'd from Santa Monica Pier (CA) and made a repeater 95 +/- miles away at Keller Peak (CA)!! I have also used the APRS.

I really enjoy the radio!

Peace,
    Chris

2. VA3TSE

VA3TSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the fine manual:

Page 144 tells you about DTMF operation: press and hold PTT, dial stuff on keypad.

3. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody else tried this new battery pack yet?

While compiling an order for a VX-8DR I checked the Batteries America web site and found Mr. Yost is offering a slightly higher capacity battery for this radio. The battery is a 2,000 mAh pack, compared with Yaesu's 1,800 and 1,1100 mAh packs. I have ordered this "extended extended capacity" battery and will report on how it works once I receive the radio and battery and get everything up and running.

4. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. That all-plastic peice of junk they include with it is useless.

FWIW, call Yaesu and ask them to ship you a "clip 14." It's the belt clip for an FT-60 or VX-150, which is much more robust, and fits the VX-8 series just fine.

As for the battery, physical size doesn't mean anything. Both the 8R, (and my older 7R) have a higher-capacity than any of my much larger HTs, right out of the box. Plus, it's a Li-Ion battery, rather than Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh. If you still want more capacity, both Yaesu and other brands make a higher capacity battery.

Frankly, though, if the little thing in the 8R isn't enough, I don't think making the HT as large as an Alinco DJ-175, with it's lower-capacity battery, is the solution.

The simple answer is: the same as you would on a mobile rig, or a rig in your shack.

Check with your local repeater op for their instructions. Some repeaters make IRLP available only to club members. But even if it's open, you may have to "enable" the IRLP with a three-number code, or something like that. Then, just dial up the four digit IRLP node that you want. Use the keypad on the HT.

I must stress, though, that you have to be rather close to the repeater before you try this. While dialing up a node around the world from a tiny handheld radio sounds fantastic, it isn't going to work worth a damn if your signal into the repeater is not good. Sometimes, your signal is lost while trying to dial the node number, so the repeater never gives you what you want because of your poor signal. HT's don't have a lot of power, and a very poor antenna. Anybody who hears you on that HT can give you a signal report, and you'll likely hear that they have some noise in your signal. That noise goes over the IRLP network as well. Bear that in mind.

For greater success, try that HT while it's connected to an external antenna at your house, or in your car. Much better results, since the antenna is more than a rubber-coated dummy load. :p

5. VA7LZ

VA7LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got my new vx-8dr and the RTS program.

Every thing worked verry well. Right, the machine is small.
    I plan to report any hurdels on the way. It will be a stip
    learning curve. 73 VA7LZ

6. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

WWManufacturing has the 1,800 mAH also, http://www.wwassociates.com/Results.asp?Keywords=3439&OEM=%&Product=%&Category=6&Manufacturer=134

It has been performing well in my VX-8.

K4PRP

7. K3TTL

K3TTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be interested to hear how this battery pack is working out. I am tempted to get one myself.

8. W2TXB

So far, so good. I received the radios and other stuff earlier this week, and the batteries got here a few days before the radios (talk about torture... got the batteries, but no "toys" in which to use them! :eek: ), and were placed on the charger almost immediately after the UPS guy dropped the radios off. I am running one of the 2000 mAh batteries to do the setup, programming, and testing, and everything seems OK.

I plan to post more on the radios and batteries sometime soon. As for Batteries America, Mr. Yost has been in the business (started as "Mr. NiCd") for a long time - used to see him and his people around Dayton and other places. Having bought a number of different batteries (Amateur, Commercial, home use, etc.) from them, I will say they have been absolutely at the head of their class. One day a few years ago, I needed some (12-volt gel cell) batteries for a couple of Laerdal portable suction units (for Fire Department/EMS use); called on a Saturday, and the owner answered the call (he was there catching up on some work). He sent the order out early the following Monday, and it arrived within two days.

By the way, the VX-8DR is one heck of a radio - already got mine set up on APRS... now to program the wife's radio...

9. K3TTL

K3TTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered one of their 2000 mAh batteries. I couldn't pass on the introductory price however, they are on backorder.

I agree! I really love my 8DR. Really nice HT!

10. W2TXB

Here's hoping the back ordered battery arrives soon. I have already run mine down and recharged it; battery life of the 2000 mAh unit, compared with the standard battery, is markedly (as expected) better - I ran a few days on mine after its initial charge, and it finally died - this is with APRS beacons running.

Yes,. the VX-8DR is one heck of a radio, and I am still learning all its functions.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.