Yaesu vx-8dr

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB2HEX, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3TTL

K3TTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. The VX-8R software will ask to automatically update when you first install it and the update includes the 8DR functionallity. (Works great BTW!)

Where in MD are you going to end up? Unfortunately, I can't give you info about D-STAR in my area. I don't know anyone in CARA that uses it. As far as APRS; I have had success Rx beacons from other APRS users in my area but I have yet to reach a digipeater.

2. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one a week or so ago.

One thing very annoying.

400++Something for a radio and no f'ing volume control????

It uses a single multi function knob, with a key-turn-the-knob to set the volume.

I bought the radio unseen, had assumed it had the double knob like the vx7 has..

The APRS is cute, and fun. Pain to send messages and as long as the hardware is there don't understand why you can use the radio as a radio/TNC.

Still I think the most full featured hand held radio at this point.

3. K3TTL

True, I found the volume controls a bit of a pain. At least you have the option to set the knob as volume so you don't have to hold the key. Still, separate volume knob would have been best.

4. VA3TSE

VA3TSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially moronic is the non-use of the up-and-down Buttons. They merely double the wheel instead of being used for "just the other function". Volume and qrg control should be intuitive, but the way they built it, it's not.
    I was hoping they fixed it with the DR. Banana Software still. Ripens at customer site...

5. K3TTL

I don't mind the size of my 8DR but I do agree with you. The larger size would allow additional controls, larger batteries and larger displays. I'd love to have an HT with the 8DR functionality that could Rx 2 channels and display the labels for each frequency.

6. K3TTL

I just got the bluetooth kit for my 8DR (BH-1A, BU-1, NC85B and CD40) along with the higher capacity battery (FNB-102LI).
    I have not had too much time to play with this new stuff yet but so far, Rx is great! Bluetooth might be a bit overkill for some but I think it will work much better for me in my car than a wired mic.

Installation of the BU-1 unit was simple enough but getting the adhesive cover off was difficult and once it is off you have to remove all the adhesive that is left sticking to the radio before you apply a new cover.

The bigger battery will be a big improvement, I'm sure. Especially when running GPS and Bluetooth! I think the drop-in charger would be a good thing to pick-up now that I have a couple of batteries. Not necessary, but more convenient.

7. K3TTL

Quick update:

TX works really well with the bluetooth headset. I held a conversation on 2M with a Ham Club member on my way home from our monthly meeting. No complaints from him.

At this point I have the headset setup for PTT only. I will have to give Vox a try soon to see how it works.

8. KJ6FQD

KJ6FQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Im A New HAM with a VX-8DR

I got my call sign a few months back, purchased a VX8-DR, and am trying to learn the ropes.

Q: How do you dial up a node on Echolink or IRLP on the VX-8DR???

Any feedback or guideance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Please and THANK YOU in advance.

9. K3TTL

Chris,

Sorry I can't help you at this point as I have tried neither Echolink or IRLP on the 8DR.
    I too would be interested in any insight on this.

10. N1JEH

N1JEH Ham Member QRZ Page

How is it working out for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.