Yaesu VX-7R w/ Data?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AC2RF, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AC2RF

AC2RF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to the hobby and picked up a Yaesu VX-7R HT as my first 6m/2m/70cm radio. Been playing with the repeaters a bit, but I'm very much interested in low power DX'ing via Satellite, Sporadic E skip, and Meteor Scatter on 6m. Reading up on these DX sources Data modes like MSFK, PSK31, and WSJT are common methods for communcation. Reading the manual for the VX-7R if you have the CT-91 Microphone adapter you can link the VX-7R to your computer so I picked it up.

Unfortunately here I'm at a loss. How do I use this adapter to hook up my VX-7R to my sound card on my laptop? My Google-Fu has been weak on this subject.

2. KE5SWU

KE5SWU Ham Member QRZ Page

With that setup to do packet you would have to use VOX for PTT control. But I don't know now how much luck you will have there is not alot of digital FM traffic. MSFK, PSK31, and WSJT are most often used with sideband, which the radio can't do, but I am pretty new to the hobby so others might have more info. I to have a VX-7R and hope to pick up a arrow antenna for it shortly so I can work satellites. I really like the radio.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The VX-7R and a number of other Yaesu HT's have a single plug for a speaker-mike and other functions. The CT-91 breaks this out into separate jacks, so you can use one of the common speaker mikes with a two-pin connector with it.

Page 11 of the VX-7R manual shows how to wire it up to a TNC for packet use. It doesn't really provide you with a soundcard interface, but you can use it that way with a little more circuitry. The 3.5 mm plug is the audio out which could go to the Line In or Microphone input for the computer. The speaker output from the soundcard could be fed through the a capacitor to the 2.5 mm plug as shown on p.11. However, you will need a way to perform Push-to-talk (PTT). A 2K resistor tied to the same line as the mike audio would key the PTT when it is grounded. You will need to build an interface to provide this function.

http://www.w5bbr.com/soundbd.html

That web page shows a simple interface for PTT. In the drawing, it shows an NPN transistor wired to the DTR and/or CTS line from a serial adapter. I requires a diode, a 4.7K resistor, and an NPN transistor.

http://www.eqso.org/faq/ptt-Interface-Circuits.htm

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We should also talk about what this interface will do for you. It will let you use your computer to do Packet radio and a few other digital modes.
    There isn't a lot of keyboard-to-keyboard packet activity anymore. It's mostly APRS these days.

FLARQ is gaining acceptance for data and traffic handling.

5. smith67

smith67 QRZ Member

Excellent piece of software - far better than the commercial alternative [RT Systems]! I have used 'Commander' to enter UK frequencies into a VX-7R bought from AES when last in Las Vegas. Just have to note to go into "Advanced" and click on the "Mods" tab for this sort of work, as the CPU is shown as 'US' and not 'UK'.
    Missed that the first time round and had an 'error' message.
    I am now able to have separate files for UK, Spanish & Canada/USA travel.
    It also makes for a nice Short Wave receiver on holidays - lets the wife listen to the 'sports programmes' on what's left of the BBC World Service!
    Do drop Jim a small sum via his website - he has put in some hours work into these programs!
    ------------------------
    70-669 | 70-671 | 70-672 | 70-673

6. smith67

smith67 QRZ Member

Excellent piece of software - far better than the commercial alternative [RT Systems]! I have used 'Commander' to enter UK frequencies into a VX-7R bought from AES when last in Las Vegas. Just have to note to go into "Advanced" and click on the "Mods" tab for this sort of work, as the CPU is shown as 'US' and not 'UK'.
    Missed that the first time round and had an 'error' message.
    I am now able to have separate files for UK, Spanish & Canada/USA travel.
    It also makes for a nice Short Wave receiver on holidays - lets the wife listen to the 'sports programmes' on what's left of the BBC World Service!
    Do drop Jim a small sum via his website - he has put in some hours work into these programs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.