Yaesu VX-7R Memory problem

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by G7HOK, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G7HOK

G7HOK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a VX 7R and I'd like to either remove some existing memory settings or change them. To be clear - I have Memory No 2, say, set up with a particular frequency and I want to change it to another frequency or just delete it so that I can re-use it.

Nowhere in the manual can I find any reference to deleting or changing - all it seems to say is that I can add new frequencies. Problem with that is remembering which one is which and some I use more often than others, so it would be useful for me to move those highly used ones to say, numbers 1-10.

I believe that it's possible to 'mask' a memory but that basically just takes it out of usage. Surely there's a way to re-use / re-program existing memory numbers?

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Phil

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil - I don't have a VX-7 of any variant, but with a great many current and recent VHF-and-above rigs (HTs and desk models), you CAN'T just delete a specific memory's contents. You can overwrite it, but not delete.

If I'm rwong, I'm sure someone will chime in, but as far as I know, that's the answer to the question.

3. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can overwrite it--but deletion is impossible using the keypad alone. If however, you have the programming software and cable, you may delete any memory position of its contents--either leaving a blank space to be programmed, or moving the frequencies below it up.

4. AD5WY

AD5WY Ham Member QRZ Page

VX-7 Commander

VX-7 Commander works great:

http://www.kc8unj.com/

... it also lets you program 'freeband' operation (extended TRANSMIT). I don't recommend that- besides being illegal under most circumstances, it probably isn't good for the radio, either.

There is also an 'official' package; ADMS-1G software. No 'freebanding', but works well.

Yes - you CAN overwrite freqencies that have been programmed into memories (manually); to DELETE memories, you need software.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention; I got the programming cable from the ADMS-1G package, but I use the KC8UNJ VX-7 Commander software - I just like it better. I think there are instructions for fabricating your own cable on around the web.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  5. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Important

The Commander software is good--just be sure to do a read operation FIRST before trying a write operation. Strange things can happen if you dont--some of them requiring a trip to Yaesu to fix the memory...

Cables can be picked up cheaply on Fleabay...

6. G7HOK

G7HOK Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your responses. I very carefully re-read the manual that came with my VX-7R and it is possible to overwrite a used memory with new information - but it requires entering the frequency you want, telling it you want to save it and then selecting the memory to save it to within 5 seconds. If you don't get to that memory in time - it writes it as a new entry! And the only way of getting to the memory is by rotary dial. Not good. (And the manual isn't at all clear - it points you at writing a new memory only).

I'll check out the software packages that you mentioned and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

73s

Phil

G7HOK - Southampton, England

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.