Yaesu VX-3r Unlocking

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N4MTB, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N4MTB

    N4MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

    Anyone successfully unlock a VX-3r by removing the resistor in the hole under the battery? I'd like to transmit on the marine band.
    Thanks . Mike - N4MTB
  2. KI6MPU

    KI6MPU Ham Member QRZ Page

    everyone here will be pointing out that it is not legal to transmit on the marine band with that radio unless it is a true emergency,
    and I am guessing that many people have been successful at doing it, usually need to do a full processor reset after the physical thing is done,
    and be careful about asking others about doing things that are potentially not legal where the FCC can read what you are planning on doing,
    do you really expect others to admit to unlocking and testing the marine band on that radio ? (for the record, I have never owned one)
    more and more people are getting in trouble for admitting what they have done online, remember that the web is super easy for everyone to search.
  3. W0LPQ

    W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

    4MTB is it ILLEGAL to use ANY amateur radio to transmit out of band. They are not certified for that use. Period. The only use is as Glen, K9STH does is use them as a tuneable IF for transverters.
  4. K9STH

    K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page


    Please be advised that, if you ever transmit with the modified VX-3r outside of an amateur radio band, you can be subject to any one, if not all of these penalties including some not listed:

    Fines of up to $11,000.00 per day per radio. Loss of your amateur radio operator's license and not be allowed to get another one for the remainder of your life. Confiscation of the equipment. Imprisonment, means "go to jail", in certain situations. And, so forth!

    Maritime radios MUST be certificated and the equipment marketed for amateur radio use is NOT certificated and cannot be certificated. "Certificated" is the new "buzz word" for "type accepted".

    When you signed your application for an amateur radio operator's license, you certified that you know, and will obey, all regulations concerning the use of radio transmitting equipment. Because of this, the FCC WILL come down harder on any amateur radio operator who illegally uses radio transmitting equipment than they will usually when a person does not hold an amateur radio operator's license. These regulations are not contained in 47 CFR Part 97 which contains regulations that ONLY concern the Amateur Radio Service. There are a number of regulations, that are contained in other Parts of 47 CFR that apply to the Amateur Radio Service as well as other Services that MUST be obeyed.

    Obtaining a radio that is certificated for use in the Maritime Radio Service is not that expensive especially if you acquire a used unit. I strongly suggest that you acquire such a radio and not "play with fire" by using a modified, non-certificated, radio.

    Glen, K9STH
  5. N4MTB

    N4MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

    YIKES!!!! Glad you guys set me straight!!! Guess I need to just buy a marine band HT. THANKS for the advise and help...
    Mike - N4MTB
  6. K9STH

    K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page


    Don't feel too bad! This same question comes up on a VERY regular basis here on QRZ.com. It is against the rules of this site to provide information for illegally using amateur radio equipment. Also, most people, after finding out that it is illegal to use a modified amateur radio where certificated equipment is required, promptly forget about doing the modification.

    Of course, there are a relatively small number of people who insist that they can use the equipment illegally or want to modify the equipment "just in case" they run across an emergency. However, to even legally use such a unit in an "emergency" there are quite a few "gotchas". First of all, there has to be absolutely no other means of communications including commercial two-way radios and even "CB". Then, the emergency has to be immediate and involve a seriously injured person or MAJOR loss of property. A "fender bender" with a bloody nose is NOT a true emergency.

    In over 55-years of being licensed, I have personally run into a single happening where I might have justified using a modified piece of equipment. That was a house fire in which the house was "fully engulfed". However, at the time, I also owned the company that handled the communications for every public safety agency in Collin County, Texas. As such, I was also authorized to have certificated equipment capable of communications with all of those agencies. I just called the county fire dispatch using a certificated radio and they, in turn, called out the volunteer fire department in that town. The "funny thing" is that I was on my way to meet with the fire chief of that particular department. Also, I had a camera with me and took a number of photographs of the fire. The fire turned out to be arson, the person who set the fire was caught, and my photographs were used as evidence at the arsonist's trial!

    Glen, K9STH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: Radclub22-1