Yaesu VX-3R Interferes with Itself

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KE8BDQ, Dec 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8BDQ

KE8BDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wrapped the cable around the largest torroid I have about 20-30 times and it did absolutely nothing. It works perfectly with the headphones. I think there is no hope. As soon as I plug it into the PC I can see the S meter rise just a tiny bit. Just enough to swamp incoming signals

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it a desktop or laptop computer ?

3. KE8BDQ

Deskmachine

4. KA9JLM

You may want to use transformer coupling. You could add a variable level control too.

Have Fun.

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You get noise on the computer when just RECEIVING on the handheld?!

(ferrites will only help if you have a problem on transmit)

There's clearly still a connection problem . . .

You really need to chop the end off the lead that you've found that works on your Beofang OK . . .

And solder just the ground and signal wire that gives audio out to a 3-pin 3.5mm jack to plug into your computer Line Input.

Connect the audio out to tip and ring together (= left and right channels), and the screen to the stalk.

There's no point fitting a transformer in the lead, as your handheld is "floating" (ie not grounded)

Roger G3YRO

6. KA9JLM

Not always true. But believe what you want.

The problem is that the computer is transmitting. Mixing of many frequencies on data lines.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  7. KE8BDQ

Yes

I don't have a Bowfung. :confused:

I bought a SPDIF adapter to optically isolate the PC from the HT. Hopefully it won't generate interference of its own.

I have one around here somewhere I can try until the SPDIF arrives. Hopefully the RFI won't couple through the insulation capacitance or something. The VX-3R's volume control goes through MIC/SP for some reason they decided to do it that way.