Yaesu VX-3R Interferes with Itself

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KE8BDQ, Dec 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just searched for a picture of the plug on a Speaker/Mic for this rig . . .

So they use a SINGLE plug for both the Speaker output and the Mic . . . so this is your problem.

I expect one of the pins is used for Programming too. (ie common ground, one for mic/ptt, one for audio, and one for programming data)

But it looks like an ordinary 4 ring 3.5mm plug, which are readily available from any electronics shop.

So you need to buy one of those, and just solder to the correct pins for the audio output.

If you have any A/V equipment, you may have an old lead connected to a 4-ring plug already that you can chop and use (like an old camera lead) . . . (I have several here)

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like there are several Yaesu configurations.

[​IMG]

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like that, but it isn't. A standard plug won't go in all the way. I have made them work by cutting off some of the plastic, but out of the box, they won't work and will produce symptoms like the OP's.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They want you to buy their 20 dollar adapter, And special (Mono) headsets.

5. G3YRO

Ah, I had a similar issue with a 4 ring plug like that on a certain brand of A/V Player . . .

All I had to do was file off the metal flange on a standard 4-ring plug, so it was in line with the shaft up to the main body. (very easy, as they're just made of soft brass)

Then it would go in all the way.

Roger G3YRO

K8MHZ likes this.
  6. KE8BDQ

KE8BDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes squelch is turned off.

It's the stock duck.

I have one somewhere and the SMA adapter to go with it, but it got "lost" in the move.

7. G3YRO

Well it sounds like it's not an RF issue, but the plug you're using that's messing the rig up. . . .

You need to get the proper 4 ring plug (or modify a standard one, as I suggested)

Roger G3YRO

8. KE8BDQ

Thanks guys, good discussion.

9. KE8BDQ

I found an old eyeFone cable that might work. On the other end it has a 2.5mm connector and I don't have anything that fits that. I'm getting close.

10. KE8BDQ

I actually found a TRRS cable with the ground connected properly and it works fine over the headphones. Connecting it to the computer though all I get is static, so apparently there is some noise coming from the PC. At one point I had 6 ferrites over the cable and still nothing so I'm not sure how to stop the noise.