ad: AlphaRF-1

Yaesu VX-170 HT battery

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KX5ALC, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a VX-170 that was purchased in 2008. Recently I've been using it as my mobile radio hooked to my Larsen 150 antenna in the truck. Works great. Only when I go out first thing in the morning after a cold night, (and they aren't even really cold yet) the radio won't transmit until it warms up. Acts like a low battery even though it's hooked to a charger in my truck. So (sigh) I think it's time to consider buying a replacement battery or just tossing the radio. Hate to toss anything that works, though. It uses NiMh batteries, but I saw one on eBay today that's Li-ion for $26.34 that "claims" it's compatible with my radio. I didn't know I could do that. Won't the Li-ion batteries be a slightly higher voltage and damage my radio? Also, won't I have to buy a Li-ion charger "just" for the radio? I can buy a NiMh battery for around $20...........of course, I've no idea of the quality.

There are so many really good HT radios on the market today...............many under $100............that are dual band, or DMR and put out more than my measely 5 watt Yaesu.............and they aren't nearly as heavy for when I want to use it in a hand-held situation. Should I just put the "old girl" to rest and invest in a new HT? Any thoughts or comments on the subject will be appreciated.

73s Chris KX5ALC

2. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

About battery not sure. You could try it if you are willing to trash it although I don’t think it will but LiPO batteries in a hot closed car?

You can’t go wrong with the “tank” FT60R! Fantastic radio for your application. It will last years!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    KX5ALC likes this.
  3. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

13 years is a pretty decent run for an HT battery!
    If you like the radio, consider getting an alkaline pack for it. You cant charge it with alkalines in it, but you could put Nimh batteries in and I believe they would charge. Buy quality batteries and you're sure of what you have.
    You could just leave the case empty and run on power supplied by your vehicle.
    Think about just getting a mobile radio. Then you get way more power out and maybe things like dual band and cross-band repeater capability.
    I dont think I'd want ab HT near my head putting out more than 5 watts.

KX5ALC likes this.
  4. KX5ALC

I have a mobile I use when I travel.............but it's also the 2-Meter I use in the house. Probably should just "spring" for a 2-Meter for the truck. (too many other things I want/need right now) I just like the idea of having two HT radios in the house for the little wife and I in case of an emergency.

Any comments about cutting the battery pack open and replacing the batteries and putting it back together. How "do-able" is that? I've had several battery operated drill batteries rebuilt that way over the years.

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KX5ALC

Thanks. That site is one I missed.