ad: elecraft

Yaesu VL-1000 , slow to tune ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD0CAC, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well back to the club station to do some contesting this weekend , 160m SSB .
    And other times I have wonder about this , but forgot to ask .
    It would seem like this amp takes too long to tune ?
    Even when retuning after short VFO movements , it looks like a relatively low SWR but still takes 15-30 sec. + to tune .
    Maybe its normal for this set up but it just does not seem wright ?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure, but it depends a LOT on the actual antenna being used.

Not many 160m antennas can cover much of the band without a huge impedance change. A very large cage dipole might, if it's made of 6-8 elements with 48" spacers. But most of us don't have that.

My own 160m antenna requires "re-tuning" about every 10-15 kHz. A full-sized 250'+ long dipole at 120 feet above ground might require re-tuning every 30-40 kHz.

There aren't any antennas I know of (unless they're dissipative like a T2FD that has a built-in terminating resistor) for 160m that cover anything close to the whole band, or even more than 50 kHz of it. Re-tuning is almost always necessary on that band, even with fairly small frequency changes.

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Again it's a club station and I have not put an analyzer on either ant , 1 is a dipole 210 per side , if remember about 80' off tower and flat top over trees either end .
    2nd is a inverted L about 60' top with 4 elevated radials 4-5' off ground .
    My numbers of heights are rough aproximents , no one at the time with more details .
    But add details when hear them .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.