ad: Schulman-1

Yaesu utune port for SDR

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VE4AJM, Sep 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE4AJM

VE4AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wanted to let any of the owners of various Yaesu radios that have ports to add the uTune accessory, that these ports can be used to obtain shared access to the antenna for an SDR. The utune ports are an in and out port. They are RCA style female plugs. All you need to do is get a 3 way rca splitter, so that it bridges the in and out, and then use the 3rd end of the splitter to connect your SDR unit. Press the utune button on the radio and you will now have the receive signal passing from in to out port, and that signal is shared with your SDR.

No IF tap, no antenna switcher required. Excellent isolation of the SDR during transmit.

I am now using this on my FT-950, but many radios ( FT-950, FT-2000, FT-DX1200, FT-DX3000, FT-DX5000, & FT-DX9000 series radios) have the utune ports.

W1SRR likes this.
  2. KA5WHO

KA5WHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes this works wonderful.Dale/ka5who

VE4AJM likes this.
  3. WI3U

WI3U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Timothy:
    Do you mean a 2 in 1 out RCA splitter?
    Does the out connect to the antenna input of the SDR?
    Thanks,
    Bill WI3U

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

watching...?
    never heard of this. im reading the manual...

5. VE4AJM

6. VE4AJM

I'm not sure if that is what it is called, but what you are after is 3 rca connectors all wired up in parallel, meaning they share the same center conductor and share the same ground. That way when you hook two of the ends up to the in and out of the utune ports, it simply connects the two ports to each other. The third end allows you to externally access the antenna signal for your sdr. You need two of the ends to be male, because the radio has female jacks. The third end can be whatever you want to work with, but for me I preferred a female end, because I already owned an SMA to male rca cable.

7. WI3U

WI3U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. We are in tune. I'm sure I have something from all the old audio stuff.
    One more thing, does the mu button have to be pushed on and off when transmitting?
    Bill WI3U

8. VE4AJM

No, you leave it set on, ie in the microtune position at all times. No need to turn it off during transmit. I find very little transmit signal shows up on the SDR. It goes to around S9 on the SDR during transmit.

9. WI3U

WI3U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I'm ready to go. This is a great idea. Playing with it over the next couple of days.
    Bill WI3U

10. VE4AJM

Bill, do you have any feedback on how the utune ports for access to sharing the antenna is working for you?