ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu System Fusion video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting, but where it would really be interesting is a 2khz wide data mode on HF SSB built into your HF rig. This would require a brief and periodic SSB "keep alive" tone on the frequency to ensure other analog hams respect your use of the frequency. Even nicer would be CW id for all parties in the QSO in the clear too. This could be accopmlished by encoded ID in the digital mode and one station acting as the ID timer. When the 10 minute timer signal is received, each station identifies in it's assigned slot.

All this is very simple to do with today's technology. The goals are to design for a minimum guard band between signals, warning to others the freq is in use, ID in plain CW, monitoring before using a frequency for this digital mode. This addresses the sleaze factor about current modes. Just a thought.

3. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

What does the audio sound like , is it as bad as D-Start , Better or the same ?

4. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No kidding! They have a segment "in action" and yet they never record a single sample of audio! Odd

5. K4RDE

K4RDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good audio reports on are Fusion. KY4KY the BARS Club.

6. KF7PSM

KF7PSM Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone setup a repeater here in Las Vegas, and either they installed it wrong, or it's a POS because nobody can key it from anywhere in town. It's deaf as a doornail. I'm curious as to what's going to happen to the frequency when everyone decides to
    share data most of the time, like photo's and or digital data from their comptuers etc, will the freq go the way of Packet Radio when more than 20 users are online... I think I'll stick to analog and a separate freq for data thank you...

KF7PSm

7. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I called Yaesu and spoke to one of their reps, and had a good conversation with him about this repeater. Its very nice and well made. But there are some features this DR1 dont have. For example you cant program a informational messeage into it. If you have a Hamfest coming up or a special event etc, you cant program that in there. I asked the rep and he said that so many people have wrote to them and asked about that. He said that they will have this update coming sometime soon in the future...I asked how soon and he couldnt give me a approximate time. This means it could be days, months or maybe a few years. Our Mark 4 Kandecom was built in 1991 and it has ALL these features already in it including voice ID, informational programing, custom messages etc etc etc. With this DR1 being so advanced why dont they have the simplest things like I described already in it? Then you have to buy the optional FVS-2 if you want the voice ID. My small complaints about programing informational messages and voice ID etc might me minimal or not a concern to others. But alot of people do like these options....Just my small opinion!

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did anyone attend the digital forum at Hamvention? There was supposed to be a presentation from a group that has 'reverse engineered' the AMBE vocoder that's used for DSTAR and P25. This should allow for the development of radios that can do more than one digital protocol, including DSTAR, FreeDV, P25, and others. I seriously hope THAT becomes the standard in the future. We need more incompatible digital modes like we need a hole in the head. If we had one radio that would do it all we'd be in good shape, but that is not the Japanese business model. I suspect it will be an American firm with manufacturing in China that actually brings something like an 'all-mode' digital radio to market.

9. KB6LA

KB6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

That, or a China firm manufacturing in China...

10. PA3KC

PA3KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't get it. Why design something brand new that nobody is going to use?

Why did they not make something that would work on dmr or something?

It's just like that ARTS stuff. Nobody is using that except in some parts of Japan.

11. PA3KC

PA3KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I meant the WIRES stuff instead of ARTS.

But come to think of it. Here in Europe/The Netherlands either isn't used here.

12. N7MSK

N7MSK Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a test unit here in Reno ----

Works great - Quiet, good sound. Sits at one of our repeater sites at 7500'

13. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

So you do not even have a Yaesu digital rig? Who is nobody? You are going to disrespect an entire mode and repeater on hearsay that comes from hams you do not even reference?

14. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

C4FM voice quality is better than DSTAR because the bandwidth is wider. Wide voice is superb, narrow voice with data still has better audio quality than DSTAR. I am able to reliably use the Fusion repeater with five watts into a log antenna, and the repeater is 70 miles away. I have had the FTM400 for a month and think it is a great rig. Full back up by memory stick, easy APRS functions, accurate GPS that works indoors built in. Worked ISS with it easily.
    ISS back.jpg

ISS.jpg

15. W7YP

W7YP Ham Member QRZ Page

If the DR-1 is in digital mode and you key your radio's mike to "hit" the repeater, expecting an analog-style squelch tail in response, you'll be waiting for a very long time. As it should, this system is totally quiet unless there's actually voice or data present.

I am VERY pleased with the performance of our DR-1. Considering that it includes everything needed for a functional repeater, except for the duplexer and antenna, it is a great value at $1699. We installed and brought ours up in a matter of minutes.

Rick, W7YP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.