Yaesu SCU-17

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KM6POA, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KM6POA

KM6POA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking to buy one for my 450D. E-HAM rates it well, but only 8 reviews. PRO's and CON's from you all would be appreciated. Thank you.

KF5VGK likes this.
  2. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one and used it for a couple of years with a FT950. It functions as expected and never gave me any problems. The external level control knobs are nice but a bit smallish. I have heard of some putting larger knobs over the small shafts to remedy that problem. I never considered it an issue. I am sure it works as well as any other dedicated sound card rig control interface.
    Take care
    Ed

KM6POA likes this.
  3. W0VM

W0VM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a SCU-17 and an FTdx5000. I bought the scu-17 because I want to operate true FSK RTTY, send CW via a keyboard (using N1MM Logger + for contesting and also be able to do all of the sound card modes. The SCU-17 with the optional "Y" cable will do just that....KINDA! Yes it looks like a very elegant way to accomplish this.

Well I said KINDA because with the "Y" cable connected, using simi break in CW you get random relay chatter. If you have an amplifier connected that uses relays for T/R they will make a hell of a reckeet and seem as if the amp will jump off of the desk! It will also do the same thing using RTTY (using MMTTY as the engine for N1MM Logger).

Now one would say there is a problem with N1MM. But not so! It will also do it using CW TYPE!

Called Yaesu and talked to the tech there. After the second or third conversation with him and he finally got permission to download CW Type he could also duplicate the occurrence. He in turn reported the problem to Yaesu in Tokyo. They denied that T there was a problem. Insisted that we had delays not adjusted properly! Bull! The three of us have tried all kinds of adjustments, from menu items to vox delay adjustments. There IS a design flaw in the SCU-17!

In this area (St. Louis) there are three hams with the same transceivers and SCU-17s. We all have the same issue with the 17!

In conclusion, if you are just going to work FT8, PSK, or other modes it will work fine (except NOT in FLGIGI) but that is a software problem in FLDIGI not the 17. The 17 will do psk just fine in MMVARY.

Don
    W0VM

Now the unit works perfectly on FT8, or any of the audio digital modes. We can also force it to not chatter by disconnecting the packet part of the "Y" cable.