ad: Alphaant-1

Yaesu SCU-17 Support Thread

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4EGA, Nov 8, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I forgot about that. Since the SCU is a 1 channel device things can get confused, and yep audio midi setup utility helps reset it.

I have found other situations where you get it all set right and everything looks right but no audio is passing. Going back to audio midi setup utility and bumping the audio gain, then restoring it seems to kick it all back to normal. I have seen the same behavior on several devices based on this Texas Instruments sound chip.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it.

"Works out of the box" means somewhat different things to the average ham and the average Mac user. ;)

2. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

So I've got it working no problem in WSJTX. Also, later yesterday, I set it up to work in Fldigi too, and saved all of the settings. Full cat control, full PTT control, audio set up, everything and I made a few PSK 31 QSO's.

Then I shut the computer down and went to bed.

I came back, loaded Fldigi, and it was going crazy. PTT stuck on, frequency readout going mental on Fldigi, even random characters in the box that should say "PKTUS". Tried going in the settings, now I can't get any of it to work. Not sure what I could have done wrong since I "saved" the working configuration before. I even tried reinstalling Fldigi. Do any Mac users know the correct settings for Fldigi to work with scu 17 and Yaesu FT450D? Just screenshots of what the settings should be?

3. KC3PBI

SCU contains 2 USB/serial converters. Did fldigi grab the wrong one for that second session?

You've got the right idea saving the config, but unfortunately the OS can change the name of the serial port from one session to another, meaning the saved data isn't always appropriate for the next use.

Typically the port selection is the only setting that requires touching up, the rig type, serial rate and timing parameters all stay the same.

4. M0MNE

Yeah, I was using /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART which is the SiLabs driver. For some strange reason a /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART3 has appeared and /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART1 has disappeared. I played around with the driver selection, but maybe I was changing too many things at once. Eventually it got to the point where there was random garbage shown as the Tx/Rx frequency and mode.
    Then I restarted Fldigi with those settings and it miraculously started working again. Not holding my breath for tomorrow though haha

5. KC3PBI

"some strange reason" is Mac OS not having any way of knowing this is the same SCU you just had plugged in before- so it is creating new device instances to handle this new appearance of the hardware, and that leaves fldigi very confused since it had been saved with a specific port name in place.

Pretty much any portable computer + any USB to serial converter is going to suffer from some variation of this.

I've found that it helps to use flrig instead of fldigi for the rig control. It works and sets up exactly the same as fldigi- then you change your fldigi settings to have it remote-control flrig instead of directly operating the rig.

Then you can set wsjt & js8call to use flrig as well. That way you just get CAT working once in flrig and all 3 radio apps benefit from it.

M0MNE likes this.
  6. M0MNE

Thanks! I will have a look into flrig, it sounds like a good solution. Is flrig software that sits in-between so it's one stop for all your WSJTXs and JScalls and whatever else?

7. KC3PBI

It works as a broker and forwarder. It's the exact same rig control code fldigi has, it's just packaged as a standalone app that does nothing but rig control. Once you get it going, you just do the one checkbox in fldigi and it knows to sync with flrig instead of making a direct connection.

Your other apps open network connection (via loopback) and send instructions to flrig; flrig then applies it to your actual rig over serial. In wsjt and js8call you just pick "FLRIG FLRIG" in the radio settings.

Really, the advantage in our shared case is that when USB port names change due to sleep/wake/hotplug events, the port name must be updated. Easier to update it in one place than in each app. Flrig even has a very convenient "update" button in the selector interface. Most other apps would make you quit-and-relaunch in order to display newly available port names.

In my own case, I found a side benefit: fldigi/flrig is just plain better at controlling my G90 than WSJT. So I get better overall performance if I have WSJT tell flrig tell the radio what to do, even if it looks more complicated.

M0MNE likes this.
  8. M0MNE

Thanks, I will give it a go, it sounds like the solution