Yaesu MD-200A8X Mini Microphone Connector

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K5JPR, Jun 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5JPR

K5JPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu technical support is unable to identify the mini microphone connector shown in the pics below. I need to custom build an extension cable in order to separate the base from the microphone. Can anyone identify this connector and perhaps recommend a vendor where I can procure one mating male end and one mating panel mounted female end?
    IMG_1245.jpg IMG_1244.jpg IMG_1246.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

In MY very Humble Opinion, you are going to spend more time on research (trying to find these very specific connectors [which I believe are LEMO] ), and less time achieving your goal, the cable extension.

Here's what I would do, if this were my project.
    • Purchase an identical, complete replacement cable direct from Yaesu in CA, so you have an unmodified original to fall back on. [You'll probably find that the replacement cable from Yaesu Parts costs less than a mating pair of those industrial connectors would from another source.]
    • Cut one of the cables into 2 pieces, whether in halves, or some offset that makes sense.
    • Get whatever cable you had planned to use for the extension, and splice in the length you choose, attaching the original cable sections to each end.
    • ENJOY operating!

Let us know if this perspective makes sense.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  3. K5JPR

Yes, I've considered this option. Yaesu offers a bottom microphone assembly that includes the short cable. I'm confident that I could remove the short cable from the assembly and patch in a piece of ethernet cable. I'm just trying to construct something cleaner, but your suggestion may be my only option.

N2PQW likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking back a dozen years, those look like some of the Morotola connectors used on some older Hand Held radios

5. K5JPR

It's possible, although improbable, that this connector is proprietary.