Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing mounting plate source suggestion

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W6VMX, Mar 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6VMX

W6VMX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few more photos............

35.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg

2. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe,
    Nice looking install. I need to get my hex put together on top of my tower. I may try an interim install on my Rohn H-40 push up pole and mount the rotor at the base (I did this on our deck, but we now have a new deck). I have a pressure treated 4x4 but I need to dig a hole and get some quickcrete.

Enjoy! 73,

Roger N6RGR

3. W6VMX

Roger,

Thanks for the comments. Good luck on your installation too. Things appear to be working nicely on my set-up. All weight is on the thrust bearing, and the plate I had made is working great. As indicated, mounting height is just a tad under 30' AGL. SWR's are low across the bands covered. I am pretty pleased with the Hex and am looking forward to really getting some use out of it. Later......

4. W6VMX

Group,

System working well. Research has led me to learn about the Hy-Gain YRC-1 rotor controller for Yaesu rotors such as my G-450a. Look like a great replacement for my brand new stock rotor (anyone need one?). It has lots of features, and can be controlled by USB port from a number of programs INCLUDING Ham Radio Deluxe!!!

Here is a photo of the front and rear of one JUST LIKE I JUST ORDERED FROM HRO.........

yrc-1.jpg
    YRC-1 Rear.png

5. W6VMX

Group,

Hex has been up for over a week now. Have the YRC-1 in hand and replacing the stock Yaesu controller. Have made a number of diverse contacts to date (see screen capture of my log below), and am VERY pleased with how the system is working. Had a few problems getting the beam and the rotor to point where I wanted them to, but that was mainly me just having to figure out how they all worked together and not any problems with the equipment. The way I now have the antenna installed is working out very well too, and seems to be able to withstand a good thrashing by the wind. Have had gusts over 30+ to date, and the Hex and mast have shrugged them off with no effect. I also think that the height I am currently at is pretty much the optimum for my location too. The nearby power lines are far enough away to not pose a threat and I have found no detectable noise affecting the radio.....

upload_2018-6-21_9-15-46.png

6. W6VMX

Well gang, Hex is still in the air, and working very well. Winds and weather have had little effect on the installation to date, and I am VERY pleased with the KIO Hex. Thanks again Leo, great product. All aspects of the installation are working as I had hoped, and have had to do almost nothing but inspect it so far. Latest contact was to KG5GRI, Steve, my brother-in-law located in NE Oklahoma. We chatted for about 7 minutes on 14.282 mhz and were both happy with the QSO. Good luck to all you folks out there, GO HEX!!!!