Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing mounting plate source suggestion

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W6VMX, Mar 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6VMX

W6VMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally made the commitment to obtain and install a KIO Hexbeam. It's on the way here now (should arrive this upcoming Thursday). Planning is underway for the mast mount, but still need a source for a mounting plate for the 065 thrust bearing. It is to be mounted on the roof fascia and will have to be able to take into account a slight angle from vertical in the plate mounting. I have several ideas on how to mount it, but still need a starting point as far as the plate itself. Any ideas or suggestions of a constructive manner would be appreciated. Will most likely document and post build/installation photos as it progresses. Thanks all.....

2. W6VMX

Did a quick Autocad file of an idea I have for a fascia mounting plate. This is the bare drawing without dimensions added. This are going to be the plate and a backing plate to mount behind the fascia for added support. It will be bolted through the fascia and should give more than enough strength to the plate and thrust bearing.........
    GS-065 Mounting PLate.jpeg

3. W6VMX

Got my KIO Hexbeam over the last two days. Checked out the main hardware box, and all ordered parts are there. Have not opened the "long" box yet, but will tomorrow to be sure all the fiberglass and center post is there. Will begin to install the mast in the ground this weekend.As things progress I will take photos and post them here. First step will be to dig a hole for mast placement (8"-10" diameter, and 3'-4' deep). Have not decided if I want to use Sonotube or not yet, but am leaning towards just a bare hole. Once bottom of mast is concreted in, will work on thrust bearing placement on fascia. Still looking for a local fabricator to build me my plate, but have time for concrete to cure anyway. Things are looking good so far and hope to have the Hexbeam on the air soon. Later........
    DSC00126.JPG

4. W6VMX

Just returned from a visit to Blaque Metal Works where I had a nice visit with the owner about making the Fascia mounting plate I need. Went over the project in detail and should have the plate by next Friday. Thought we might be able to bend the plate, but looks like best way will be to weld the angle part to match the fascia Going to have the holes water jetted. Not too bad an estimate either. Will see how it works out soon....

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mazel Tov! It's good you found a shop to do this.

Before I saw your latest post I was going to suggest making a well dimensioned sketch of exactly what you need and I'd have it fabricated here. Welding the angle is better than "brake bending" once you get thicker than about 11 gauge CRS because many CNC press brakes cannot handle 9 gauge or whatever you might want to use.

6. W6VMX

Steve,

Thanks for the observations. My plate will Editbe either 3/8th inch or 1/2 inch thick, not sure at this time. Will have to determine type of aluminum as well. I had a good discussion with the owner about bending versus welding, and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Hopefully my measure of the angle of the fascia will bring me pretty close to the alignment I am looking for. Rescheduled my mast installation for next weekend (pending pickup of plate) as it makes little sense to mount the mast prior to having the plate mounted for alignment purposes. If there is any interest in these plates, may make dimension annotated drawings available after I have proven the installation on my system.......

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, you don't want to "bend" 3/8" thick aluminum in a press brake.

Heliarc welding is a way better solution.

I'd have probably made the bracket from 11GA galvanized CRS, it's strong enough and actually can be bent in a press brake. The "top plate" in most towers which support a thrust bearing is only about 16GA galvanized CRS.

8. W6VMX

Received my Thrust Bearing Plate back from Blaque Metal Works today. Looks very good, and fits like a glove with the GS-065 TB. Do have to get slightly longer hardware to mount them together, but had to order the fascia hardware anyway. Going with M8 X 25 mm to mount TB, and M8 X 80 mm for the fascia. Have yet to paint the new plate, but will be painting the Hex Beam spreaders, and other parts as time permits this upcoming week. Attached is a photo of the new plate........

upload_2018-3-30_15-59-39.jpeg

9. W6VMX

A bit more info on the new plate. It is 10 mm (3/8th inch) thick aluminum. A bit thicker than the original hardware was made for (as stated in last message hardware for mounting the TB is M8 X 16 mm and new hardware on order is M8 X 25 mm). Forgot to ask what type aluminum it was made from, but will check with them Monday to confirm which it is. At any rate, should be beefy enough for the intended purpose. Will most likely paint it with gray primer, and then a silver finish coat. That should protect it nicely from the elements here in Las Vegas for a few years anyway.......

DSC00135.JPG DSC00132.JPG

10. W6VMX

Talked to James this morning regarding the type of aluminum he used for the plate and it is 6061 T6. I do not pretend to know all that that means, but what little I have read about it indicates that it has good corrosion resistance properties (not too much of a concern since it will be painted). It also has good tensile and shear strength too. Anyway, looking forward to doing more work on the project this week and will take photos as time permits........