ad: UR5CDX-1

Yaesu G-5400 Repair

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N7ASZ, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7ASZ

N7ASZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My AZ-EL rotator needs a good going over as it's sat for several years out in the weather. Does anyone know if Larry K6VLF is still repairing them. I saw a post using him as a reference. Worst case I can send it to Yaesu repair in CA.
    Thanks!
    Mike N7ASZ

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hey Mike, I have done several myself. They are very reasonable to work on.

I used kerosene to clean the balls from the bearings, and molybdenum sulfide grease to repack them. when you disassemble the rotator housings, don't spill the bearings on the floor, don't ask me about that!

give the pots a few squirts of electronics cleaner, and turn them gently all the way around, quite a few times. This will generally clean up the dead spots that cause the angle meters to get stuck or jump.

I clean the dirt etc off the housings with dish soap, warm water, and a nylon bristle brush.

I hope your unit doesn't need attention to the motors.

3. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, I just went through this with my G-5500 2-weeks ago. When I cracked open my ELE rotor it was a rusty mess inside. Yaesu will rebuild these units for about 1/2 the cost of buying new replacements. I chose to buy a new G-5500 kit because I wanted reliability with new equipment. Tim at Yaesu told me the new kits come with a 3-year warranty. If you’re like me, you don’t want to be messing with old rebuilt equipment that has a higher probability of failure. Not to mention going through the realignment process.

Good luck,
    Frank

4. N7ASZ

What do you mean by "Kit"? You bought a complete new unit?

5. N7ASZ

I've never had one apart but am pretty adept at that kind of stuff so maybe will give it a shot once I get the tower tilted over so I can get to the antennas/rotors. On the G-5400 I believe the Elevation motor start capacitor is in the rotor itself and the G-5500 both are in the control box. I replaced the cap in my control box for Azimuth but it didn't make any difference so time to dig into the rotors I guess.

6. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, both rotors with controller.

Frank