ad: MultusSDR-1

Yaesu G-450A Rotor Question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD8EDC, Oct 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4TX

    KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

    Yes, they could do it at the factory, but then they would have to hire and train someone to do it, which would raise the cost. Mine did need calibrating. Maybe it was perfect when it left the factory, but have shipping and sitting around for awhile at the place I bought it and then shipping to me, it could have gotten out of calibration. I'm sure once it's up for awhile, it may need calibration again. At least by doing the first one at my desk, I have a better idea of the process so it will be easier when it's up in the air. There is a difference between putting them up at home and in a temporary location for a day or two. I'd be surprised if anything was perfect out in the field.

  2. KD8EDC

    KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

    Interesting information. Well, I'm getting ready to test the rotor, but first I have to solder the rotor connector to my 260' of Davis RF AWG18 6 conductor wire. I understand that soldering to the cups on that plug shouldn't be very difficult, but others have said it was a bit of a bear. The opposite connector (for the Control Unit) has small plugs that are crimped onto the ends of the conductors and then inserted into a "molex" connector that plugs into the radio. For those of you who have built these connections, any tips on either soldering the plug or the crimp connectors? In particular, should one add some solder to the crimped connectors or leave well enough alone?
  3. N7KO

    N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

    I just purchased a new G-450 A Rotor, During my testing Like above it checked out fine except the limit switches do not work, it comes up on hard stop ether direction, I mean you need to remove your finger from the switch at end of travel or the motor will just set there and hum.

    I spoke with Yaesu directly, and they told me they are built with limit switches and the only thing we could think of was I might have wired connections wrong. I checked them with the directions that came with the unit, but it all looked correct. So at that point I ordered factory cable with connections already on for $130.00 but still did the same thing. I contacted HRO, they sent out a replacement Rotor and control box right away, and it acts the same. I am now sending the factory rep a video to see if he may have answer. I think maybe I may have not calibrated correctly but I followed the directions several times, all seems to work but the limit switches. I am wondering if they assembled a batch incorrectly or they do not have limit switches.

    Any one that can shed some light I would be thankful or if any of you have the same experience I would like to hear about it.

Share This Page