ad: w5yi

Yaesu FTM400XDR & Apple?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2EGB, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2EGB

K2EGB Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    Forgive me if this is not the right place to post this question and feel free to advise me if it's not.

I recently purchased a Yaesu FTM400XDR and really like it so far. The issue/question I have is regarding the SCU20 cable that came with it. My Apple MacBook Air does not seem to recognize my radio when I connect it using this cable. I've tried both USB ports on my laptop and know they both work (tested them with an SD card reader). So I looked into the driver that I'm supposed to install and on the Yaesu website I discovered the installer and/or the cable itself is not Apple-friendly; only a few versions of Windows were listed as comparable environments.
    Am I really out of luck with being able to connect my radio to my laptop or am I overlooking something here?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

K2EGB

2. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way to get your Mac to work with that radio (natively) is through an app called ADMS-M400 by RT Systems, Inc.

Link - https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FTM-400-programming-software-s/2275.htm

But that's just to program the radio, not to do digital modes via radio-to-computer interface operation. Your other alternative is to either install Boot Camp and a copy of Windows 8.1 or earlier (I'm not sure if the drivers work under Windows 10). If not Boot Camp, then either Virtual Box or VMWare Fusion and a copy of Windows. You'll need to install the driver and Yaesu program first and restart before you connect up the cable. I haven't seen any Mac drivers for the radio when I Googled for it.

I hope this helps.

73s,

Joe KC8RLU

K2EGB likes this.
  3. K2EGB

K2EGB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Joe, that does help! I'll give that app a try. I'm not looking to do any digital modes (yet)...just looking to program the radio by way of an alternative to writing/reading back and fourth on an SD card. I'll try your suggestion and thanks again!

Matt K2EGB