Yaesu FTM400 mount

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK5UP, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KK5UP

KK5UP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received my new FTM400. What my problem is> I can't leave it in my company truck so I built a platform with a piece of wood and 2 pieces of angle iron bolted the base to the wood (I have a Lido mount for the display) I lean it to the seat on the hump of my truck. This wood idea with the transmitter bolted to it just doesn't get it for me. It's bulky (yes I had to make it some what wide to stand up) I need a design that's much easier to work with meaning taking it in and out of my truck to move it to my personal ride. Any suggestion would be good.
    Again I can not drill and mount the transmitter to my truck. I have scum bags in the neighborhood that steal on a regular basis. Thanks KK5UP

2. WD6USA

WD6USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mount the radio into an Apache or Pelican case with connection fittings for power, remote head, antenna, and mic mounted to the exterior of the case. Yoou sould then be able to hook up everything in seconds. Or, keep everything inside the box and just open the box and connect the antenna and power.

3. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure plenty of air gets to it when transmitting. Don't stuff it somewhere where there's no circulation.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I had a mobile in the vehicle I would use the include U-bracket mounted to a square of aluminum a little bigger than the radio. Bracket can be used from the bottom or top of the radio. That was placed under the drivers seat out of sight. Of course radios had control heads like the 400. My last mobile was a 400, 1st generation. Terrible time to lock for GPS position. I modified the suction cup mount by removing the suck part and using a long threaded screw to hold it down to a flat surface. Control head was located separate from the radio body, but maybe a deeper plate mounting the head in front of the main radio might work. Something all in one sitting on the seat next to you.
    Good Luck!
    Mike

P.S. Another good mounting surface is a cutting board from the $1 store or big box store. About the right size, shape, finished and easily drilled for mounting holes.

5. KK5UP

KK5UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have a flip up cup holder center console I am going to cut a board long enough to hold the receiver and slide the rest under the console. Thanks for advice

KE5MC likes this.