Yaesu FTM100DR won't turn on

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by ND3U, Sep 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone experienced the 100dr not powering up? I brought my one that I use mobile inside to add some frequencies and to check the control head with my other 100dr. My mobile rig wouldn't turn on before I brought it inside and after switching things around, i.e., one control head on the other radio once plugged in then powered on, etc.. The mobile didn't power up with either control head then my one I use in my shack now refuses to power up. My shack rig was just fine along with the power cord and fuses and the power supply is just fine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this situation?

Brandon, ND3U

2. VE3JJA

VE3JJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had the same thing happen here. New FTM100DR. Power ok. Pulled the SD card out of the 400 in the car sent the data to the rig. All worked well on the bench. Decided to put the extension on the head. Radio will not turn on. Back to the short cord. Nothing. Brandon have you resolved your issue?

Woody VE3JJA

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you use a CT-162 extension cable ?

4. ND3U

Bought a new 100dr and used the new control head on the old radio, no go. Put old control head on new radio, control head works. I'm thinking one of the wires in the aftermarket extension cable may have been crossed causing a diode or resistor to go in the radio. I'm not messing around with surface mounted components.

I put the 100dr in the SUV because there are more System Fusion repeaters in my area than DMR. I just bought a DMR mobile from a Ham here on QRZ for a base radio. With my 16.5ft dual-band antenna on a 20ft mast I can reach a few DMR repeaters. The CS800D has a removable head that uses a regular CAT5 cable (a sh*t load cheaper). Not to mention the mic cable plugs into the head and the head has the speaker. One cable and that's it. Once I get use to using this radio I might switch out the 100dr and use it mobile.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is not the cable, It may have different versions of firmware, And they need to match.

Have Fun.

6. ND3U

Both control heads work on the new radio so the firmware must match. My old radio is toast.