ad: Radclub22-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Too bad it can't do P-25 ! or SSB but you could work the ISS and AO-91 ! Repeaters are too BORING for me sorry KI6PMD ..

2. K5SPP

K5SPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Literally just got a tracking number for a new FTM-300DR I ordered! Not that I would get the $00 - I mean 500, but it is a pretty good looking radio!

3. AI5DQ

AI5DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They’re talking about groups. You can’t group memory banks.

AI7NC and AK4PY like this.
  4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

The 220 band is available to nealry all of ITU region 2 as well as Somolia for some reason. I'd say that's a big enough market to sell a few radios; about 1/3 of the world. It's a shame that if you want a 220 mobile you have to buy Chinese. If you want a 220 base or all mode you have to pay a tremendous price for a used 30 year old radio. If you want a 220 HT you have Chinese and the Yaesu VX6, that's it.

5. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

What is real amateur radio?

Handhelds can do the same?

High power output? You are allowed to use 75 W PEP. Think about EIRP and the powertable for PEP in the exam. Always four times more of PEP, to raise the signal about 6 db. The "big license" is allowed to use 750 W PEP. You are not so far away with your license or knowings from that what other OMs basicly can do or know. Keep that in mind and let the others talk.

6. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone think that big knob might be a clue to it having ssb, cant seem to recall it being said anywhere that it dont

7. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish they could make some new HF radios instead of another VHF/UHF :/

Looks nice but at that price idk.

8. IU1PSA

IU1PSA Ham Member QRZ Page

We all want FT818 back instead of another, thousandth VHF UHF full of watts. I think it works well on satellite up and downlink, positive note. IU1PSA

W6SAE likes this.
  9. N2QGV

N2QGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto here. The last two Yaesu intros (300 and 200) takes a real believer to call them true mobile radios, with the limitations imposed by the pitiful memory functions engineered into them. Small profile desktop node radio should have been the description, because taking one on a trip out of town to another state, county, or city is a memory management joke on these two radios. The enlarged knob should make navigation the hundreds of menu settings easier. Stolen 817/818 format and a head redesign seem to be the new features.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    AI7NC likes this.
  10. N2QGV

11. N2QGV

Dead Pool nomination for the next out of production is ...... FT991A!

12. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, disagree. Repeaters are fun. I mean they are fun if only you're a repeater builder, sure. To be a repeater user - yes, it's damn boring.

13. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice radio. Where I live radio traffic on 2 Meter and 440 is nearly non existent. I am truly sorry to say that. NE Oklahoma......Good Luck BP

Some stand out features to me are.
    • APRS
    • 6w speaker
    • PMG function
    • Dual receive
    • Wide receive, airband, etc. (108MHz to 999.995MHz)
    • 16 character channel names
    • Bluetooth
    • MicroSD slot
    • 50W (FTM-500DS is 20w)

I was just about to get the FTM-300, so I'll be interested to compare them.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

14. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh no, please don't! :) I mean please start another thread apart, I'd be glad to participate the discussion no matter it'll be likely closed by a moderator pretty soon.

Not exactly. I mean lack of power, lack of dynamic range, and mess with power and antenna cable. Handhelds rule in handportable scenario while mobiles are generally the best choice for a car and pretty often like a base station.

Max power and measurement method is country-specific, isn't it? Some countries measure consumed power, some others measure RF power at antenna output port, some else measure EIRP of entire station.

15. G0MNI

G0MNI Ham Member QRZ Page

most radios have memories however most yaesu mobiles do not have these memories cut up in to chuncks similar to what you can do on the yeasu FT1/2/3/5/8, on these Memory Banks is what yeasu terms for a group of memories linked together so that you could have a memory bank containing VHF repeaters and another bank for Air or marine etc

What i would like to see is the ability to scan fo rrepeaters based on GPS same as you can on the ICom 5100/4100's

AK4PY likes this.