ad: Halibut-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WD9ICU

WD9ICU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really, another vhf/uhf radio? Wow! Isn't the market already choked with these from every mfgr? I suppose there must be a market somewhere for such things. Personally I think they are mostly all dust collectors and the market would be better fit with a Yaesu radio equal to or better than the Icom IC-9700. Nothing to see here.

KN4HYG, WB4NQF, PY2NEA and 2 others like this.
  2. KC3OSD

KC3OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The US is one of very few countries in the world that have 1.25 Meter band. Don't expect to see much from the big three on that band.

UT7UX and PY2NEA like this.
  3. KC3OSD

KC3OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's now listed on GigaParts website. Quote:

"The Yaesu FTM-500DR is a versatile mobile transceiver that offers simultaneous FM, APRS, and digital voice (C4FM) operation. With its 1000 memory channels and dual-band capability, the FTM-500DR makes it easy to organize your favorite frequencies and have them quickly accessible. The built-in GPS receiver with 66 channels provides location-based navigation and the optional Bluetooth interface allows for hands-free operation while driving. The FTM-500DR also supports advanced features like Digi Group ID, Digital Group Monitor, and participation in the Wires-X system. The device has a 50W transmit power and a large, easy-to-read LCD display. The package includes power cable, DTMF microphone, PC connection cable, and a 3m control unit cable. Voice recording and playback are possible with the optional microSD memory card. The FTM-500DR offers excellent performance with the convenience of both analogue FM and digital C4FM operation."

Official Yaesu USA YouTube release video.

4. KA9MGC

KA9MGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the 400 last July. It works perfectly fine for me. I haven't even used all of the features yet.

But it has all of the bells and whistles I'll ever need.

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. KD8ZWI

KD8ZWI Ham Member QRZ Page

it has the quick PGM feature, allowing you to create a “dynamic” memory back of 5 - which I find rather useful…

K4XJ likes this.
  6. W9DSW

W9DSW Ham Member QRZ Page

why another mobile they need
    to update or upgrade the 991 2014 almost 9 years ago

KI5BMK and KI4YZN like this.
  7. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me revise this and say......"Meh another FM VHF UHF radio, sigh......"

How about someone coming up with an affordable all mode VHF (or dual band VHF/UHF) mobile form-factor radio that doesn't require you to buy a shack-in-the-box radio instead (at least, those shack-in-the-box radios that still exist in today's market).

There is sufficient interest in weak signal VHF/UHF activity to support an all mode 2m radio (not unlike the old ICOM IC-290, Yaesu FT-290, Kenwood TR-9000/9130 type radios). These old radios still command ridiculous prices in the used market. VHF+ activity is not isolated to only FM and repeaters......

OE6KLF and KE8OLT like this.
  8. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh crap, it looks like a Yaesu.

9. KE8TIQ

KE8TIQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 5 FTM-400s and love them. I'm not sure about this one because it looks to have a smaller screen.

10. KO4DKN

KO4DKN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have a link to Yaesu's mailing list or news from Yaesu on upcoming products?

Thanks

11. M0XXJ

M0XXJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. M0XXJ

M0XXJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, SSB would be a real game changer. I love my FTM400, I'm not sure that this new radio really adds much apart from an updated design and a large VFO knob.

N8AJM likes this.
  13. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s exactly why I just sold my FTM-300. They are no longer user friendly while driving. I’ve always been a Yaesu FanBoy. I sold the 300 and bought the Kenwood TM-V71. Much happier with it. I never used Fusion anyway.

KR2C likes this.
  14. KI5BMK

KI5BMK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think John means well but he might be getting burned out on dealing with some of the angry responses he receives...

K4XJ likes this.
  15. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

looking at the top buttons when I scale another picture looks like they say GM, can't read 2nd one, DX , up and down arrows and DISP.
    I think it's a updated 300 with better speaker and a large channel know for Main. But who knows we will find out when they give us the
    specs. Let's hope they did not forget the memory banks this time!

AI7NC likes this.