ad: HamHats-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0GMD

N0GMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not looked at all the specs for all the FTM- radios. But at first glance, it looks like the FTM-200 features with a different button and screen layout. I'm still glad I purchased the factory refurbished FTM-300DR. Maybe this will be a lower cost entry for the mobile / base market than the FTM-200.

2. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming March 2023?

I cannot find a single thing about it on any of Yaesu's websites. Nothing under their news section. Every time they've ever released a new radio they would have a page dedicated to it with specs, features, pictures etc. for at least 2 or 3 months before an expected release date.

Why would they create a new dual band mobile radio with pretty much the same features as the FTM-300DR, and then only add a large VFO knob on it? And WHY even have a large VFO knob for a mobile radio that is only going to operate in FM/C4FM? It's not like you're going to sit there and spin the dial every 5 KHz looking for signals. There's already a vfo/tune/channel knob for main and sub on the side of it, so you have 3 VFO knobs with this radio? If I search google for anything on the Yaesu FTM-500D I find very, very little information other than some personal websites or blogs, and a couple of youtube videos from those trying to talk about the mystery radio.

I don't know about this one. It seems really sus to me.

73, de K5OP :)

KN4HYG and VE3TSV like this.
  3. AK4PY

AK4PY Ham Member QRZ Page

The workaround I have been using for this is SD card storage. I have several cards that each hold a different programming setup. It is a bit of a pain to have to swap memory cards to change to another setup, but it does get you unlimited programming configurations.

K4OEK likes this.
  4. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

We received a bulletin direct from Yaesu announcing the FTM-500DR. It should pop up on their website and other places around the web in the coming days I would think!

KI4MYD and NG9F like this.
  5. AK4PY

AK4PY Ham Member QRZ Page

Memory banks are different that memory mode. Memory banks are subgroups of memories. The FT-8800R had memory banks. Most (all?) current Yaesu offerings do not have memory banks. I miss them too. If you are familiar with Motorola radios, memory banks are the equivalent of zones.

AI7NC and K4XJ like this.
  6. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see a large knob for a SSB mode, but otherwise, it looks like another "new and improved" radio packaging, with the capacity and function of the 300 and a probable price increase.

I'm not seeing any reason to get excited about it. I don't drive or own a "Smart Car".

KN4HYG and N0YPD like this.
  7. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

We did! I see it is now on the Yaesu's USA Facebook page / YouTube as well.

9. N2OA

N2OA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another radio that ignores the 220 MHz band

WB0DBQ, W6SAE, K8ALH and 2 others like this.
  10. W4US

W4US Ham Member QRZ Page

I was laughing with some local friends about this video from Yaesu regarding the radio.
    Their US national sales manager released some "commentary".

Kind of a negative way to promote a new product release (no offense John):

KN4HYG, WS9K, DO1FER and 3 others like this.
  11. W1GCF

W1GCF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What Yaesu radios have you used lately? All the VHF/UHF mobile and HT have memory banks. Are we talking about different kinds of memory? Separating memory according to categories, latest models FT5DR and FTM-300DR already do that.

12. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This might be my next radio for the Jeep.

13. W9LME

W9LME Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to leave well enough alone. FF1DR up to FT5DR just a larger price tag. FT-M400, I have it and it works fine. Saw no need for the FT-300, FT600 and now FT-500.
    My Ft-8800 & FT-8900 both still work. Really like the FT-2980 on my desk, it's simple to use, program teaches CW, has 80W and the price was right for me. Have the 991A and like it EXCEPT for the placement of large dial to close to the buttons. Ya can hardly get near a button without knocking it off frequency.

KE8OLT likes this.
  14. N9LTW

N9LTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KI4YZN likes this.
  15. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL. I have noticed “Yaesu man” gets mad when others speculate on his new radios.

At least this time he waited till he was at his house/office.

When the 710 came out, dude fired up his phone while riding shotgun in a car and blasted everyone who dared speculate on the new rig. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    WS9K, W7USD, UT7UX and 3 others like this.