ad: RichCrouch-1

Yaesu FTM-400XDR vs FTM-400DR

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4EHX, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone give the major differences between the Yaesu FTM-400XDR and the FTM-400DR? I searched Google and the latest information I can find is from 2016. I gather the main difference is the GPS receiver and I have heard the XDR is Fusion II capable (which I know nothing about). Both units cost roughly the same $400 give or take $50. I imagine there has been firmware updates for the DR and XDR. Again, I know next to nothing about either unit other than the few times I've used the XDR.
    In short why choose the FTM-400XDR over the DR?

KN4EHX

2. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the XDR but I've never used a DR. As far as my research the only difference was what you mentioned. All the reviews I saw basically said the DR GPS receiver was horrible and the XDR GPS was a huge improvement. As close as the price is I can't see any reason to buy the used DR. Brand new FTM-400XDRs are going for under $400 now.

KN4EHX likes this.
  3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

buy the XDR as my DR is seriously GPS deaf. It is relegated to house duty and a manual LAT/LONG loaded for stationary use. In the car it would take 15 minutes or more. There has been firmware upgrades, none addressed the GPS issue. Something was flawed with the original GPS function/hardware.
    Mike

KN4EHX likes this.
  4. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mike. That was exactly what I was looking for.

5. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only difference is the GPS receiver.

Bob

KN4EHX likes this.
  6. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can confirm this.

My 400dr is a shack radio now for repeater use and my APRS station.

KN4EHX likes this.