Yaesu FTM-400 Questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KH7FC, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7CCB

K7CCB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the mobile and the terrain around me I have to run full power on UHF for reliable contact on UHF. However my finals smoked and the radio has been at Yaesu over a month for repair. And a friend of mine sent his radio in for a failed final to send it again yesterday. I regret getting this radio. I can't trust this radio reliably. I am not the only one with this issue.

2. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bummer - sorry to hear.

Unfortunately, outside the center 30% of the UHF amateur band SWR can climb pretty fast for any typical "low cost dual-band" antenna.

VHF is never an issue here but in the NH hills (& mountains) I surmised the same problem on UHF. So, not only did I spring for the Yaesu fan cradle to keep the heatsink cool, but also made up a match transformer to get the SWR as low as possible at my frequency of interest (a little above the central 30%). If you've got a dedicated UHF antenna it's not so bad - but the SWR on these dual banders will sway all over the place depending on where you are on the band. Center frequency is not bad - but quickly gets worse as you approach the edges.

This worked best for me (and included tuning instructions): https://connectivity-staging.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/2018-10/ANT-DS-B4303S 111014.pdf

Been running UHF on the FTM-400 for 5 years now without a hitch. Whatever you choose next time - good luck!

Jim, WQ2H

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Edited: Zombie thread...