Yaesu FTM-400 Questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KH7FC, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah - a new one just went on line in Concord, NH. Any difference between Wires-X and, say, Echolink? I've yet to really dive into it.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

James,
    It is a very major difference toward the + side. Fusion is somewhat like dStar only better in my opinion. Better sounding, too.

3. KH7FC

KH7FC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the FTM-400DR in my Jeep I really like the radio. The only thing I don't like is you can't assign Digital to a Memory Channel, but its not that big of a deal. Most of the Fusion Repeaters are just open, but a couple are connected to WIRES-X here in San Diego.

4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I just set up the XDR last night - just in time for a net. I never thought I'd like the touch screen as much as I do.

Hope to have fldigi running tonight - I can't wait to see the difference between FM and DN.

5. K9WEN

K9WEN Ham Member QRZ Page

How about some pics of your mounts in the vehicles as well as what mobil antennas did you get.. Momma recently bought a new Suburban and her words "I dont want no crap in that vehicle", last night she saw the 400 running in the shack and was impressed with the size and the ability to hide most of it so she gave it her blessing to install....
    Thanks!!

WV4M likes this.
  6. KH7FC

K9WEN - yeah brother I can do that, though my install isn't that impressive. Could hide it better if I got any external speaker. Also, I know we don't have rates anymore but I don't think MTS was ever allowed as a "Warfare". I could be wrong but either way just busting your chops. I have MTS also, and wish they would let us put it out there like that.

Beau
    FCC (SW) 02 - present

7. KH7FC

Sorry it took so long but here are some pics. I ran the power directly to the battery. Mounted to the center console, and used a Cell Phone windshield mount for the controller. I think I might move the controller under the seat and run a external speaker at some point. Using an universal NMO mount for my Browning Dual Band Antenna.
    brains.jpg controller.jpg antenna.jpg

Attached Files:

K9WEN likes this.
  8. KG5WEN

KG5WEN Ham Member QRZ Page

man I want one so bad, 530 is bitter pill to swallow, I think I am going to do it. I do have one trip planed in the fall, probably make 2 round trips maybe more. From Benton Arkansas to Augusta Georgia. I plan using i40 most of the way. Can this radio search for repeaters along the route ? I guess i could map the trip out and program repeaters into it. I want to rear mount this radio like this guy, he has a jeep patriot as well.

Attached Files:

OZ0ABC likes this.
  9. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will not automatically follow your route, no. Best bet is to use something like RepeaterBook .com or RFinder .net (or their respective smartphone apps) and just program the ones along your route into the memory.

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep it at 20 watts unless you are having trouble getting in. It gets pretty hot running full power. Wires X repeaters tend to have much more digital activity than stand alone machines.