Yaesu FTM-400 Questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KH7FC, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KH7FC

KH7FC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm about to pull the trigger on this radio for mobile use, though I have some questions that I haven't really seen answered.

1. Does the APRS work "in the background" or do you have to have one of the "sides" of the radio dialed to the freq for it to work?
    2. Will it work for ISS / SAT contacts with an Arrow?
    3. Can the face plate attach to the body or does it have to be a remote install?
    4. What is the real difference between DR and XDR?

I know some are going to say that X radio is better and I should go with it instead. I really like Yaesu Products and want to stay with the brand.

Thanks in advance.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. You have to dedicate typically the "B" side to APRS use.
    2. No idea but I can't imagine why not.
    3. No, the control head does not attach to the main radio.
    4, The biggest difference that I know of is a much better GPS receiver, other than that I don't know.

I've been really enjoying my 400DR. Steep set up curve but well worth it.

3. KH7FC

Thanks for the reply KN7S, leaving B side for APRS is what I was thinking the answer would be. Sounds like I will be making a trip to HRO today or tomorrow.

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

5. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest you also get the ADMS software to aid in programming your radio. You can do it all from the front panel but the USB download is much easier and faster.

KG5EXW, KU4X and K9WEN like this.
  6. KH7FC

I have the FT-60 verison of the software but I'm not a Windows user so it is kind of a waste of a disk. What type of connector is the programming port on this radio? I have the FT-60 , and the FT-857 cables already

7. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a 10 pin DIN type female socket at the radio - USB on the other end. I'm not sure what the proper name is. Yaesu calls it the "data jack". It is also used to connect the "external terminal unit"

8. KN7S

I am not sure, but I believe the data cable and jack are used for access to the packet TNC on board. For programming the radio I am using RT Systems software to a mini SD card. Real simple. Just read your data from RTS to the mini SD. Put the SD into the card slot on the radio and read from the card.

KG5EXW likes this.
  9. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Absolutely great radio, and I was surprised at the proliferation of Fusion repeaters. Seven in NH alone. The ADMS works perfectly for me - quick and easy (Yaesu online download).

I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives, but if you're looking for a digital setup - the CT-164 cable will allow you to cross the 10-pin DIN to a 6 pin DIN, and then use the SLCAB6PM to connect to a Signalink. Any experience with the Wires-X?

10. KN7S

There is somewhere around 12 Fusion repeaters here in Western Washington.
    One guy in the Seattle are has WiresX up and running on occasion. Fascinating stuff!