ad: RichCrouch-1

Yaesu FTM-400 Independent 2 Channel Operation?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W2MJR, Jan 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W2MJR

W2MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Yaesu FTM-400, but there's one question that the promotional lit and reviews don't touch on. Does it have independent 2-channel operation (aka: true dual receive) like the FT-8800R?

Thanks guys.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and much, much more. The only thing that I have found lacking unless I didn't see it in the manual somewhere is PL tone scanning. Nothing I use but found that curiously missing.

3. W2MJR

W2MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome Dave! Thanks! Besides the obvious ham uses, being a railroad guy, true dual receive is a big deal since we use two different frequencies for road channel and dispatch. Hearing both simultaneously is important at times. I appreciate the the help.

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Matt,
    No problem. I bought the 400 as a Santa gift to myself! I'm very much enjoying it. Pretty steep set up curve because the radio is so flexible and customizable. If you you do buy the FTM-400 I really recommend that you get the RT Systems software. WAY better than the Yaesu software. Have Fun!

Hopefully you will not be using that radio to transmit on the RR freqs......

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure when you key the microphone you're transmitting on the side (top or bottom on the display) you want. It highlights the one PTT is active on. I have made a fool of myself more than once. You will love the touch screen. The radio is worth the price even if you never use digital voice.