ad: Schulman-1

Yaesu FTM-300 APRS Setup Tutorial

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a quick video to help you get the APRS up and running on the Yaesu FTM-300. One feature I really like about the APRS on the FTM-300 is that you can use it on either band or a combination thereof.

FTM-300 APRS.png

2. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got probably silly question. As it seems to be a pain to input all the data and set up all the functions via rotary encoder, is there any programming software? Kenwood has free to download software for all radios, greedy Icom had paid software but newer radios have free software too. Yes, I clearly understand the new FTM-300D is vast improvement over dumb anti-ergonomic FT-7800/FT-8800 series but can one just connect one's new FTM-300D to a PC to easily set it up, upload channels, and back them up?

3. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

UT7UX likes this.
  4. UT7UX

Thank you, Thomas! I've missed it. :confused:

5. UT7UX

I've played a little with the software and found that mic's programmable key P1 is fixed to GM (what is it?) and keys P2~P4 may be assigned to something useful. In a HEX editor I've found keys P2, P3, and P4, are corresponds to offsets 000003D7, 000003D8, and 000003D9, respectively. There are some options available. For an example option 'OFF' results 'DC' in HEX. I suppose P1 is programmable too but its programming is inhibited by software, not by radio itself. May someone try to change offset 000003D6 to see if we can use P1 for something useful too?

6. KE0DM

KE0DM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK how do you turn it on

KI5MFF likes this.