ad: portazero-1

Yaesu FTM-100DR Speaker Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KA4JWB, Aug 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA4JWB

KA4JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone have any issues with a FTM-100DR speaker audio?

I think I have a cold solder joint somewhere based on the symptoms.

If I turn on the unit and the car temperature is HOT, then it powers on works fine with audio coming out of the speaker.

If it cools down or have been running the AC then turn on the unit, no audio.

If I plug a set of external headphones up to the unit, the external headphones work every time.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the service manual, looks like everything related to audio out is on the back side of the board. Doesn't sound like a blown component because it works when it's hot.

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd probably get more responses if you had posted under the Technical Forum. Off hand, sounds like your presumption is correct. Probably a lot of work, but you might want to consider re-melting all of the joints on the board that follow the audio path to the speaker. Especially where physical movement is involved. Start with that headphone jack, since it likely has normally closed contacts that open and disconnect the speaker.

Good luck and 73.

Lee