Yaesu FTM-100D - Added Equipment?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7PHX, Feb 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K7PHX

K7PHX Ham Member QRZ Page

My new FTM-100D works pretty well, as long as I don't have to do anything from the front panel. I have to use a lot of force to press the soft buttons which need a pencil eraser or a fingernail to operate. The tuning knob is a clunker encoder that either skips ahead a few clicks or maybe not at all until after a few more clicks. The main gripe here is the (*&%$)&# DTMF microphone with its teeny buttons. I need a special tool to depress these buttons and it is so easy to squeeze the PTT while entering some frequency or scanning the memory.

Question: It might be a good idea to build a small DTMF unit to sit next to the radio so you could do all these operations that are only available on the microphone. Anyone else thought of this? Apart from that....not a bad unit.

Thank you,
    Chris, K7PHX

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this radio. It fits into a niche for my purposes that no other radio on the market today can occupy.

All that I can fathom about the size and location of the buttons on the radio head is that they were trying to maximize space, not perfect usage. With the head mounted on a fairly sturdy mount, I still feel the need to put a hand behind the head as I apply 20lbs of pressure try to depress a tiny button on the front. I am in my 30s and have absolutely no joint issues in the hands. I cannot imagine what trying to press these would be like for someone with arthritis.

I know that such a thought is anathema to most Amateurs, but I think this think could stand the have fewer, larger buttons and be a little more menu driven. I am thinking something like what is on the Xeigu X5105: three function buttons, and 'shift' key that changes what they do.

The size of the DTMF keys on the handmic is competely indefensible. The face of the mic is mostly empty space, embedded at spots with tiny buttons. Yaesu is shipping what appears to be the exact same handmic with every single one of their VHF/UHF radios. A complete rethink here is in order here. If Yaesu offered an alternative microphone with bigger buttons, I would probably buy it.

3. N8GDX

N8GDX Ham Member QRZ Page

My only complaint about the FT 100 dr, is I had to make a custom cut hard foam block to press and hold the 2 yellow buttons on the front, during power on, to switch back and forth between Wires-x and normal VFO operation. Other than that small issue I love it.

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you elaborate a bit more? I only press and hold a single button to enter and exit Wires-X mode. Are you using it as a Wires-X node?