Yaesu FTDX3000D my first impression

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by IW3GLJ, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. IW3GLJ

IW3GLJ Ham Member QRZ Page

At Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Messe I bought a Yaesu FTDX3000D transceiver, the actual price is a real bargain for that equipment, I didn't want to wait any longer for this.

Now, after a month of testing it I'll write down some impression on FTDX3000D;

Firstly the reason why I chose that transceiver: the price, of course, the size that is adequate for a comfortable desktop operations, the 3 antenna connectors, the auxiliary Rx and IF out, suitable for a pan adapter or SDR RX, the single USB control and audio IN/OUT interface and, of course, the more than adequate technical performance for an average or even experienced amateur user.

My attention is mainly on the operating mode and I want to say that I appreciate the absence of the touchscreen which means no fingerprints on the display, instead I prefer to scroll through the menu items with the VFO-B / CLAR knob, even the ability of setting the PROC/CAR knob as CARRIER LEVEL. I think that ergonomics is quite good, but I dislike the excessive sensitivity of the VFO A an VFO B encoders, a menu option of an divide by 2 or 4 of the encoders counts may by desirable (not DIAL STEP).When I operate the MODE switch I will move the CLAR knob, that is annoying, it would be desirable the knob not to work before choosing a function (RX / TX -CLAR or VFO-B dial). The full screen spectrum/WF display is very poor of information at least a numeric S meter level on top may be desirable. Nowadays, having a number of recent transceivers on the air, the clarifies is not often used, for me it is more desirable to monitor the CARRIER LEVEL instead (menu choice). I know the dedicated RX only antenna connector, by menu, but some time a ham want to exchange RX and TX antenna on the fly that involves to exchange physically the connectors on ANT3/RX, I've noticed that it is possible to assign different antennas at the RX of VFO-A and VFO-B but it is impossible to receive with one antenna and transmit with the other one splitting the 2 vfos, eg. RX VFO-A antenna 1 and TX VFO-B antenna 2 or vice versa (a split antenna mode).

I don't expect Company's updates anymore, too bad.

Anyway, if a friend asks me, I tell him, at the current price buy it!

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FTdx-3000 also has a great receiver and excellent DNR.