Yaesu FTDX3000

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W8AJM, Oct 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8AJM

W8AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sort of new to this hobby and not a technical person so my knowledge is very limited. I turned on my radio today and anytime I attempt to transmit or tune it the radio shuts off and restarts.I am using the FC-40 auto tuner at the antenna drop. I cleared the tuner memories as well as the radio memories but it still happens. Even transmission into a dummy load causes the radio to turn off and restart. It was fine the last time I used it which was yesterday. I am lost. It has been working just awesome since I set things up in June of this year.

W3KKO likes this.
  2. WW1SS

WW1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a power supply issue.

W3KKO likes this.
  3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Check power supply and leads, don't overlook any in-line fuses is the first thing to do, have you tried another power supply?

I had a guy with a Kenwood TS2000, "Power transistors" he declared ever so positively, you pressed the PTT and the dial lights dimmed - sure did look like PA transistors especially on 'my' power supply, the first thing I did was to check the inline fuses, the on in the negative lead had corroded contacts, the fuse was o/c at the end cap - it hadn't blown. He was receiving the negative connection from his power supply via a very long lead..... his power supply well and truly grounded outside and so was his radio! Perfect on RX though.

The look on the guy's face said it all especially when one single screw hadn't been removed and the repair took about 10 minutes.

Check leads and power supply, crimp connections can work loose and become resistive when passing a good few amps.

Dave

W3KKO likes this.
  4. W8AJM

W8AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Checked the power supply fuses first and what do know, fuse had worked its way loose. Thank you so much for responding to a newbie. Learning as I go and enjoying every challenge.

AL
    W8ajm

KC9YGN and W3KKO like this.
  5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Should this sort of thing happen in the future, monitor the power supply voltage and current. If the power supply voltage sags (down 15 percent) in concert with your trying to transmit, there is a problem, most likely in the power-supply-to-radio cabling or one of its connectors, and extending to any radio fuses. Ditto if the power supply current does not get close to the value shown in the operator's manual (max current when transmitting).

AA1RV and G4COE done good fur youse.

W3KKO likes this.
  6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know you sorted it 'screw driverless'. Always do things logical never assume anything.
    A good clean and gently tightening the fuse clips if you can.... don't be tempted to file or sandpaper you'll ruin the plating.

Dave

W3KKO likes this.
  7. W3KKO

W3KKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gentlemen
    I stumbled on your thread this evening while about to scream over the same FTDX3000 "rig shuts off then turns back on" headache. It looked like my "new to me" 3000 was pulling close to 30 amps (per the power supply meter) on voice peaks into a dummy load and repeatedly restarting. After reading your comments..........THANK YOU for showing another ham the light!! Failing old linear power supply appears to be the cause. Chucked the Alinco, hooked up the Samlex, and all seems well at nearly midnight. The Samlex ammeter stays below 22 or so at all times. And no more shutdowns. Now if someone could explain how I'm getting 40w to 50w carrier into said dummy load on AM when the specs say 25W........ so I've turned the am power down to show 25w out to be safe. 73 and thanks again!!

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've found a PS with meters, Voltage and Current to be very helpful in monitoring load performance as well as PS performance. For the slight increase in PS price the meters are well worth it.

WQ2H likes this.
  9. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I`ve found the 4-pin "Molex type" DC connector that Yaesu uses to be unreliable. It will loosen over time and I'm had radios shut down right in the middle of a QSO. Not a show stopper but annoying.

If you're drawing current - that's a bigger issue, assuming the PS is properly sized. I agree with a PS with meters - well worth the modest cost increase. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

10. W3KKO

W3KKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ed and Jim
    Thank you both for your follow-up. Both the apparently defective old 35 amp Alinco supply, and the Samlex 2235 (I think that's the correct model) have meters. While voltage readings on both were stable, current readings were erratic on the Alinco, but stable on the Samlex at levels +/- the FTDX published specs during receive and transmit. I fired the rig up again this morning with the Samlex on multiple bands without issue. I know way too little to dig into the Alinco to see if it can be fixed....it'll go to a club member to tinker with.
    Thanks again and best 73.