ad: Morse-1

Yaesu ftdx 3000

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Aug 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My 707 is busterated right now and after I had two back-to-back life-threatening illnesses, I haven't mustered the drive to repair it. My question is just HOW do you know it's 11m lingo? Inquiring minds wanna know.

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because everyone on ham radio these days came from CB.

And I use the CB to get smokey reports.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyone - I came from SWLing. Licensed just a year or two after 11m CB was first started. Never ever got on CB (actually I did a couple of times in 1970; re-tuned my 20m rig to its second harmonic and doubled in the final, and played with the heads of some of the local CB crowd, but quit that before I got in trouble).

Nowadays, I'd bet only a tiny fraction of the younger generation even know what CB (or ham radio) is.

4. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone is not accurate. Thanks for the reality check!

Almost everyone.

W2BTK likes this.
  5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I started on a radio shack 100mw base station, tunable RX and ch 14 TX, cw key built in.
    CB back then was not trash talking truckers and everyone had a licence, I got one when I got a 5 watt radio.
    I swl'd as well and heard AM talk on my radio shack dx100 receiver and got my general to get on the air.
    I did CW for a while, made a few ssb contacts then got into cheap AM.
    Lots of hams (older ones) started on CB and some might still come from there.
    I have no attitude about CB.
    About a month ago I worked some guys on CB that might have been on 80 meters for all you could tell, talking radios and antenna's in English.

W2BTK likes this.
  6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. On to other things...