ad: vanity

Yaesu ftdx 3000

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Aug 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

And I have one with a 30L1 behind it running only 90W carrier...with supplemental ventilation.

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 5000 and unless you want to remote, I do not see any big advantage in the newer Flex radios.
    I had a 6300 and the 5000 seems to be the better radio.

The FTdx 3000 goes down to 5 watts carrier output which is a bit too much drive for the three 4X150 screen modulated rig, I need to swamp it some.
    It drives the pair of 813's fine.
    I had high swr on the pair of 4-125 rf deck and used the mfj antenna analyzer to measure it and made changes to get it lower.
    It drives those fine now.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny, the old vacuum-tube-on-circuit-board Yaesu rigs, which might actually qualify as "boat anchors" (I would call them "clunkers") used the FTDX prefix on their model numbers. Then Yaesu dropped the "DX" with the well-known hybrid and solid state rigs: FT-101E, FT-301, FT-901, FT-1000, etc. Now they have put the "DX" back into their model numbers. o_O

4. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Brett, if you are really interested in which of the newer Phlexx radios works well on AM TX I would be happy to send air checks.

o

5. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Contrary to current WWW-dom, anyone who thinks an 18 lb Yaesu is a boatanchor needs to move a real boatanchor.

After they get out of the hospital and rehab, they can continue to post in the Boatanchor section.

6. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not move the 30L-1 next to it? They are a nice looking amplifier with the Samsonite and all.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

As I recall, a couple of those old FTDX rigs circa 1970 weighed a lot more than 18 lbs.

Actually, I never liked the term "boatanchor". I never took it as a term of endearment, but more as a term of derision. I remember back in the mid-to-late 60s and early 70s, when the cheap and flimsy sideband-for-the-masses rigs like Swans, Galaxies and Hotwater rigs began to displace solid, built-like-a-brick-shithouse plate modulated transmitters, the term was sometimes used to make fun of those of us who hadn't jumped onto the bandwagon.

More than once I can recall lugging something like a sizeable plate or modulation transformer back to the car at a hamfest and hear some joker off to the side remark, "hey look, somebody just found himself a boatanchor, har har har!

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Philip you can do anything you want but I advise ditching that collins amp and getting something with some scrote. Let the collins nuts go ga ga for it and pay you some dollars. I've seen inside one and it looks like another cramped PITA thing to work on, plus you have 811As horizontal -- for the $$ you could probably find a homebrew grid driven 4-1000A amp somewhere. SDR operators seemed attached to these little Dentrons and such that give them 100 watt carriers.

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I sold off anything Collins long ago when it pulled down good prices.
    Not worth the premium in my book unless you are a collector.

Not sure who makes a robust inexpensive amp these days, good tubes seem to be crazy expensive and most amps really
    seem to cut corners in the power supply design....
    Makes a K7DYY rig seem like a great idea.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW that is clearly CB radio jargon.

W2BTK likes this.