Yaesu FTDX-3000 with MFJ-929 question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K8ZA, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8ZA

K8ZA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have my ftdx-3000 working with my mfj-929. the only problem is the mfj-929 wont tune with the tune button on the radio. i have the ftdx-3000 menu set on external . the mfj-929 will tune with the radio if i key the radio. the menu on the mfj-929 is set on yaesu fc-30. it was the closet setting to what i have.. I posted earlier looking for a great external tuner that will work with the ftdx-3000. i would love for it to work through the tuner button on the radio.
    thanks for any help.

Danny
    KB8VFA

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ-5114Y Yaesu FT-450,FT-950,FT- 847,FT-DX-3000
    The 929 manual doesn't mention it, but there is a pre-wired interface cable for your rig.

Presumably, you need to set a jumper in the 929 tuner and set up your FT-DX-3000 as described for the 450 and 950.

Zack W1VT

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. K8ZA

K8ZA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for replying.. I have the cable for it and the jumper is installed.. I called MFJ and they didnt know why is it not working.. It worked with my ts-480 on the tuner button on the radio,the guy at mfj was surprised that work. ha!

4. K1BRA

K1BRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having the same issue with the MFJ-929 and the MFJ-5114Y cable. The MFJ-929 can "see" the radio (i.e. you get the "TURN ON RADIO" when you power the '929 up with the radio off) but there is no working interface between the tuner and the radio once the radio is powered on. Activating the Tuner button on either the radio or the MFJ-929 does nothing, either in the default Automatic or the Semi-Automatic mode. The MFJ-5114Y cable also doesn't power the tuner from the FTDX-3000 Tuner port, as it is supposed to do according to the documentation (yes, I have the Tuner setting in the FTDX-3000 set to EXTERNAL).

One challenge with resolving potential issues with the MFJ-929 is that without updatable firmware, there isn't a whole lot that MFJ can do to help you with any firmware-related issue short of fixing it in-house and replacing your unit. The MFJ-998 tuner appears to be the only one in the product line with updatable firmware. On the other hand, it looks like the only actual "interface" between the MFJ-929 and the FTDX-3000 (other than the alleged ability of the radio to power the tuner) is the ability of the '929 to key up the radio during manual tuning. While neither of these things works for me with the MFJ-5114Y cable, the FTDX-3000 does support the "keying" mechanisms used by the other '5114Y cables: FH-2 remote jack (for MFJ-5114Y3) and RCA PTT jack (MFJ-5114Y4). The MFJ-929 User Manual shows how to construct cables for these. I think I might give it a shot.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hooked a momentary push button to pins 11 and 15 on the linear jack in the back, this gives you a tune button. You can set the power out with a menu setting.

6. K1BRA

K1BRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured out what the problem was with mine: J4 was missing inside the MFJ-929. According to the manual, units are shipped with J4 installed (which is necessary for all radios except for IC-7000). Mine didn't.

I was going down the path of trying "ALINCO" mode with a mini-plug cable for the FH-2 remote port. I had fashioned a cable according to the MFJ-929 manual and put the 929 into "ALINCO" mode. When that failed to work as well, I cracked open the MFJ-929 port to see if there was a physical problem with the RJ45 connector (or something else obvious). Upon opening the MFJ-929, lo and behold there was no J4. I installed one, hooked up the original 5114Y cable, put the MFJ-929 into Yaeso FC-30 mode and it works!. Holding the "Tumer" button on the FTDX-3000 front panel for half a second keys up the transmitter and has the 929 start the tuning process.

One of the best descriptions of MFJ gear I've heard is that their "pre-assembled kits that sometimes aren't quite finished". I'll be making a more regular habit of opening/inspecting/etc. MFJ gear before using it. :)

7. OZ8AGB

OZ8AGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also hooked up my MFJ 929 to my new ftdx 3000 because the radio won't tune 30 and 40m on my horizontal loop.
    The MFJ tunes when I press tune but I would expect than when I change band it follows the radio and uses a memory setting for the frequency or is this not how it is supposed to work?

8. NA8Y

NA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I just was searching for ft-891 and a MFJ-929. Mine was not working.

I had the J4 jumper installed correctly.
    I had the ft-891 set as EXTERNAL in menu 16-15
    However I needed to set the MFJ-929 to Yaesu Mode (FC-30) (Hold down MODE for 2 seconds then hit mode again until it says Radio Interface. Select Yaesu and boom

then power both down.

power the MFJ-929 on first.
    Then when it says power on radio. I powered on the FT-891 and then the tune button started working fine.

It wants to tune with 10watts which doesnt seem to work great. Ill fiddle around with it but it wasnt working and now it was.

Not too hard.. The cable worked fine.

9. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you powering the tuner from the radio? I have an 891 set up identically and the tune button doesn't want to work.

Thanks,

Pat

10. NA8Y

NA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Just saw this sorry.. I am powering the tuner with 12v separately.