Yaesu FTDX 3000 vs Kenwood TS-590S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by YU4SRB, Nov 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 1200 will only transmit 6k AM...3k audio bandwidth. Unfortunately the SSB bandwidth settings have no effect on AM.

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know you want the FTdx-3000 !

I have used the 590s and its a fine rig but the 3000 has more flexibility and of course the great display.

I have a lot of friends with them and have heard of no problems at all. I have used mine about daily for 6+ years. It has no problem running
    up to 80 watts out on FT8 hour after hour.

3. W4HRL

W4HRL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the past, I have owned both receivers but not at the same time. I traded the FTdx-3000 to get the TS-590sg. And then traded the 590sg to get an Icom 7610.

FTdx-3000 thoughts:
    It is a BIG radio. It took up a lot of real estate on my desk in my small shack (which is also known as "the guest bedroom").
    If you are into FT8, various non-intuitive menu settings were needed to be sorted out to get FT8 up and running with the FT8 waterfall displaying as it should.
    It has some good onboard mic equalizer menu options. You can tailor your sound to be just about whatever you want it to be.
    The scope is no where as nice as the Icom (7300 and 7610) scopes are. Hard to explain, but the scope just does not measure up.
    No real problems with it, just never warmed up to it.

TS-590sg thoughts:
    It needs the optional TCXO module to not drift around as it warms up. No real problem, but that "feature" bugged me. Problem solved by buying / installing Kenwood's TCXO. Easy to do, but I think it should have left the factory with that option.
    If you feel you need a waterfall display, it is easy to set up with a SDR Play and a cable from the 590sg's DVI port to your PC.
    It has a very capable Antenna Tuner. ATU will match somewhat more than the FTdx-3000. Like most onboard tuners it is a "touch up" tuner. If you do not run resonant antennas though, you will probably need an external tuner.
    Overall an enjoyable, capable radio to operate. No real problems with mine, but when the opportunity to swap to an Icom 7610 came along I let the TS-590sg go so I could go play in the SDR world.

If for some reason my current favorite 7610 were to go away and not be available for replacement, I would be happy with replacing it with another 590sg (and SDR Play). For me, if I wanted a Superhet radio, I would be happy with the 590sg in my shack. However, I have currently landed in the Icom SDR camp and am enjoying my 7610.

Most radios today (FTdx--3000 and TS-590sg included) will get the job done. I think the real challenge to picking your radio is finding the one that has the operator / machine interface that suits you. Some radios just seem to fit into an operating style (whatever that means) better than others. For me, between the FTdx-3000 and the TS-590sg, I choose the 590sg.

W4HRL
    Mike in Poquoson VA

WA8FOZ, WS9K, K3EY and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Always an Icom person, but when the better half told me to get a new rig, I shopped around and jumped the Icom ship.

I bought the FTDX 3000 and have been a real happy camper. Never owned a 590, so can't speak about it.
    But I fell in love with my 3000, it is a very nice radio and mine is in use 10-12 hours a day.

I am sure either radio will be very good.

5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that HRO had 3000s listed again, but out of stock. Maybe they found a few somewhere. $2100, though. And 590s are up another $100, to $1520, at HRO, and are also out of stock.

6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FTDX-10 is much better and only $1399 until midnight tonight when they will turn into a Pumpkin Hi HI , The 3000 are really discontinued as the FT10 was the designed replacement...

7. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FTDX-10 for $1399 is a bargain. Bargains are getting rarer and rarer. I paid $1699 for mine and I felt like I got my money's worth. It makes me want to buy a second one to use for portable, but that would just be silly.

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct, but some are willing to put out $2099 for the last of the 3000s. Go figure. Instead of 'early adopters', they must be 'last minute adopters'.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned the FTdx3000 and FTdx10 even the FT891 sold all of them and now own the TS590SG and IC7300. Yaesu Absolutely have fantastic receivers, and the 10 has a fantastic noise reduction system, better than any I owned. But as was stated, to each their own. I couldn’t warm up to the Yaesu human interface design. I find the Kenwood and Icom to have a much better way of making things work. If you like constantly twisting and turning then Yaesu will make you happy. That’s my take.

10. W8BE

W8BE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna will be the heart of the station. You did not specify your antenna setup but if budget is a concern I would buy the cheaper radio and spend the rest on a better antenna. Both radios have enough sensitivity to copy to the noise floor.

WS9K likes this.