Yaesu FTDX 3000 vs Kenwood TS-590S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by YU4SRB, Nov 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. YU4SRB

YU4SRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am about to buy stationary HF station now. And I am thinking between these two. Before you post please don't write "Buy Icom 7300".

We all know that Kenwood has tradition in making good radios and I approve that TS-590 is solid rig. It is very very good radio I've tried it. I never used 3000 but based on what I've found on internet (correct me if I am wrong), this is why I think yaesu have advantage:

1) FTDX 3000 has same IF (Intermediate Frequency) as FTDX 101: 9 MHz and 24 kHz

2) Yaesu have these roofing filetrs: 15 kHz, 6 kHz, 3kHz, 600 Hz, and option to add 300 Hz, TS 590 has only 2.7 kHz and 500 Hz

3) Yaesu preamplifiers (two options)
    10 dB (pre1)
    17 dB (pre2)

Kenwood, only yes and no.

4) Yaesu RF attenuator (three options)
    6 / 12 / 18 dB

Kenwood, only yes and no

5) Dynamic range based on what I've found
    Yaesu:
    108.5 dB (10 KHz spaced signals, pre1 ON or OFF).
    106 dB (2 KHz spaced signals, pre1 ON or OFF).
    Kenwood:
    87 dB (2 KHz spaced signals, 7 MHz, BW 500 Hz, Pre OFF, RX1)
    107 dB (20 KHz spaced signals, 7 MHz, BW 500 Hz, Pre OFF, RX1)

6) Noise reduction, I think that yaesu wins here. It seems that it has 15 different algorithms while kenwood has only one and you can only increase the intensity of it. Correct me if I am wrong here. It uses texas instruments DSP TMS320C6727B (2800 MIPS / 2100 MFLOPS) similar one is in in FTDX101 it is TMSS320C6746 (2949 MIPS/ 2220 MFLOPS)

7) Has bigger colorful screen, where it is easier to see how did you set your width, notch, contour... Also a waterfall but I don't mind too much about that one.

8) Yaesu has 1 Hz frequency resolution and kenwood 10 Hz frequency resolution

9) Much more connections on the back of the radio

10) It is bigger 365 x 115 x 312 vs 270 x 96 x 291 mm and weights more 10 kg vs 7.4 kg

11) Based on reviews from eham, there are a lot of people who had 590 saying that after buying 3000 is was much better.

One youtube video comparing these two: https://youtu.be/SCI9LyaONHM

As I see one downside of the FTDX 3000 may be bit too complicated menu, but I think once you learn it it becomes easy. Every radio has it downsides. What are your opinions about these two, did anyone had experience while working on both?

[​IMG]

Thank you.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Menu on the 3000 isn't that bad, it's just not as nice as the newer touch screen based menus. Generally once you set them you leave them alone.

I can't comment on the 590, since I never owned on, but when I had the 3000 I enjoyed using it very much. The digital noise reduction I felt sounded better then the 7300. Still not a huge fan of DNR but sometimes you just gotta use it to hear a station.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used several Kenwoods, several Icoms, several Yaesus over the last 15y or so. I also used an Elecraft K3 as my primary home radio for several years.

The TS-590SG beats all of them.

I either sold or gave away all the other HF radios at home. I have a single TS-590SG at home, and an Icom in the truck.

UT7UX, KC1NY, WS9K and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak to the TS-590S because I've never owned one. But I can say that it is reported to be a solid rig that's easy to use--I'm sure that it's nothing you haven't already read about, though.

I do own an FTDX-3000 and I can say that it is an excellent rig. The "Contour" feature is wonderful, the filtering controls are easily laid out and readily accessible, and easily viewable on the screen with little graphs of the bandpass and the settings applied to it. Split operation could not be easier, and it has standard RCA inputs/outputs on the back so you don't need specialized cables to run an amp, for example. It also has IF and RX out jacks on the rear if you decide to run SDR software on your computer. On RX, the performance difference between my FTDX-101D and FTDX-3000 is negligible, although I have not yet had the 101D very long and I don't know all the in's and out's yet, and have not yet had it in a contest situation yet--I'm sure it'll shine then.

If you're a CW operator, the FTDX-3000 is a great rig to use. Superbly easy and the ZIN/SPOT feature works great. It even has a CW decode feature.

99% of the functions you'll use are on the front panel, but the unless you know the "shortcuts", FTDX-3000 does have some "ergonomic" issues, in that the menu is quite extensive and some settings are kind of hard to get to. Learn the shortcuts and it'll make operating easy.

I'm sure someone with a TS-590S will chime in and give you their experience.

5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read that some 3000's are starting to become a little 'troublesome'. With Yaesu service being rather inconsistant, that could be an issue.

6. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know. Mine is an older serial number, but I've never had any issue with it whatsoever, so I have no experience with their service. I have sent an Icom back for service within the last year or so, and just sent a Ten Tec in for an alignment. It took about 8 weeks to get the Icom back with 'adequate' communication, and Ten Tec hasn't had the rig long enough to do much with it, so I can't speak to their service level. Can't speak to Kenwood's service level either, for that matter.

7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you looked at the FTDX-10? It is the replacement for the 3000.

I think from hearing the 590 that its audio Full and Richness may be better then the 3000, but the FTDX-10 was built to make up that.
    FYI you can put a SDR play on the 590 and a computer monitor to get a Waterfall from the 590.

8. WB2KJL

WB2KJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know if the 4kc bandwidth available on the Ftdx 3000 and FTDX 1200 works for AM transmit as well as ssb?

9. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I LOVE my TS-590

If it [Raising Arizona} "got carried off by a twister" [/Raising Arizona], I'd probably run out and buy another one

10. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned a 3000 for a few years now. It has great filters for cw and ssb. I even listen to shortwave broadcast every now and again with it. It has a wonderful sounding receiver that does not tire you out. I'm mostly into cw and it is great for that mode. I can't comment on the 590. I know some that own one and say that it is great too.