Yaesu FTDX 1200 Cable Delema and my Home Brew Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KM6CND, Apr 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Just brought home a FTDX 1200 a couple of weeks ago. It replaced my 40 year old FT757 GXII. My amp can be seen on my QRZ page, I posted the pix when so many of you were very helpful with my previous post "Tune before or after the amp".

The amp has two wires that go to the radio. The Yaesu amp cable has a serial connection for the assumed use of a Yaesu amp. If I bought this cable, I would basically have to cut off the serial connector and the RCA plug and identify the 2 (out of 10) wires I would need to connect the amp. Seems like a real bad choice, considering the cable is about $30.00

The radio side of the cable is a 10 pin round connector. Could any of you wise ones tell me what this connector is officially called? I did a search for "10 pin connector cable" and the only results were a Direct TV 10 pin to analog (RCA) cable. This cable closely resembles the pin placement on the radio, close but not a perfect match. I really don't want to cannabalize the Yaesu cable. :(

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MDIN 10P

3. KM6CND

Now I know what to look for!:D

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep mini-DIN, 10 pin.

And every manufacturer who uses a unique connector for amplifier keying should be taken out and hanged with a used rope.

RCA phono jacks are ubiquitous and everybody has some male RCA phono plugs, and that's what should be used on ALL transceivers for the amplifier keying connection. The Yaesu has room, they just didn't do it.

5. KM6CND

Completely agree, there is nothing wrong with having an industry standard for connections like this.

For everyone's future reference, I found the eBay store for K7YEN, Virg in AZ. He is an electrical engineer and now builds custom cables for HF rigs. I'm waiting his reply, hoping he can build me an appropriate cable for my amp.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One reason I like my Ten Tec gear..."everything" is on RCA phono jacks. Even the little Jupiter (not a large rig at all) has six RCA phono jacks at the rear panel, for all accessory connections. And "just in case" you don't have any phono plugs, it came with them in the accessory pack.

Why every manufacturer doesn't follow this standard is befuddling.

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah, Mon... you could just grab a cable out of your "stereo cable junque box" and go...

8. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page