Yaesu FT991A

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7SIS, Jan 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KJ7SIS

KJ7SIS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All
    Just getting back into ham radio after several years - was ZS (since 1980) and then VK and now KJ7SIS ...

Just ordered an FT 991A and a Compactenna Ham-R7 and have a few basic install questions:

1. Power supply options - suggestions
    2. Grounding - I am in a home with limited access to install a ground rod etc - any suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Dennis

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Power supply option: Garden tractor battery, size U-1 should cost around 40 bucks. Nominal 30 Amp-Hours, will run your radio all day. any automotive charger will top it up.

I operated HF for 25 years BEFORE I bothered driving a ground rod....

K2XT and KJ7SIS like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. I used to be all about linear supplies and still use a big Astron. But...I've been impressed with the switcher I bought from Alinco for Field Day use last year.

2. Do the best you can...having a good station ground is important. Better a long run of ground wire than no ground, and better a ground rod down a couple of feet than nothing at all. Like PM, I never bothered with a station ground back in the hallowed day, but have long since mended my ways. :)

Annnd...WELCOME BACK, OM!

KJ7SIS likes this.
  4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ7SIS likes this.
  5. KJ7SIS

Thanks WL7PM!

6. KJ7SIS

Thanks! I am in a HOA and need to be subtle - so trying this small multiband option- I used to operate extremely well on 20 and 40m dipoles in the old days!

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the world coming to when there are HOAs in Whitefish, Montana?

Geesh...:p

I've never used that compact antenna but if it's much more than an exposed dummy load I'd be pretty surprised and also impressed. Normally "small" antennas are seriously inefficient and have very narrow bandwidth so they require re-tuning a lot.

But...both CW and FT8 make contacts quite a bit easier than SSB.

If you become disappointed with the compact antenna, you might consider a "stealthy" wire outside; lots of hams use them, including end-fed half-wave wire antennas made of very thin, dark color insulated wire that's almost impossible to see unless you know exactly where it is. Something like that, plus some "trees" to both support the end and hide the wire, can make for a pretty good antenna system that works better and isn't so touchy.

NK8I, K9DWB and KJ7SIS like this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you kidding? It's not an antenna. Cancel the order, buy some wire and cable for the dipole or loop and drink the rest.

I never had the opportunity to make grounding, but this did not prevent me from working on the air for many years. All continents, over 200 countries. What am I doing wrong?

I tried MFJ-4125 and liked it

K2XT likes this.
  9. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a Southern California response. You'd be surprised how fast "invisible" antennas become obvious with 1/4" of ice on them, glistening in the sunlight . . .

N1VAU likes this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I could still come up with something way better than that 4 foot antenna.